From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 8196 hard disk retore - how is this done?

I am in the field running PXI 8196 in an aircraft - the next flight is tomorrow, and my controller will not boot up. I was able to get it up in safe mode, but now that is even having problems. I tried to boot in last stable configuration, but now it won't boot. How does one get to the operating system restore on the hard drive? I'm desperate. We have a spare controller, but it is slower...

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,316 Views)
Ctrl-Alt-F1 to reconnect to the monitor. It had merely lost its way.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,314 Views)

Hi Laurel,

Thanks for letting the resolution be known! 

For future reference, to restore the operating system use Phoenix Firstware.  Phoenix Firstware uses a small, protected area of your hard drive to store an image of the OS provided to you at the time of shipment. Should you need to restore your system OS to its original condition, you may access that image by pressing and holding the <F4> key (on the PXI-8186, PXI-8187, PXI-8195, or PXI-8196) when video first appears during the boot process.

For more information on Phoenix Firstware, please check out the following Developer's Zone Document:

Restoring or Changing the Operating System in a PXI-8180 or PXI-8190 Series Embedded Controller
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/FDD12342BE5EE18286256DC5005FCB82

Good luck in the future!

Chad AE
Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,299 Views)