PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 8176 Crashes When Running Cal Executive 3.3

Trying to run Cal Exec 3.3 on a small PXI-1002 chassis with NI 8176 Controller. Whenever we run Cal Exec, the system crashes/reboots, and it appears to be due to running out of RAM.  We have the max RAM of 512 MB installed. I've gone into Windows startup configuration and removed as much as I could that did not appear to be required.  We only use this chassis to run Cal Exec for various PXI cards.  Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what could correct this issue.  Is this controller just not adequate for the above tasks?  We support a number of older PXI cards (not PXIe) that need to be run in this chassis.  I think I read that some people have said an NI 8196 controller may do better. Some cards we support have the type of PXI connectors that can't plug into hybrid slots on PXIe chassis. So we need to keep this older PXI-1002 chassis operating.

We only run NIMAX and Cal Exec.  I did a major HD defrag, turned off all unnecessary startup items. I can open Cal Exec.  I start to run a procedure, and on the particular PXI card ( I think it was a PXI-4462), there is WARM UP. Then when the first step starts, the computer freezes or reboots. I've done a complete REPAIR on all the NI software on the chassis. I've monitored the memory with Task Manager. and at a point shortly before the crash, I've seen it state that there was about 29 MB of RAM available.

Are there perhaps BIOS update(s) that could help? (I am guessing not)

Or, is there a way to run some virtual memory on the HD or something like that?

I would appreciate any inputs that could assist in this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(562 Views)