PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-6515 for Relays???

Hey there, 

i am wondering, whether it is possible to use the PXI-6515 to "trigger" the following relays https://www.finder-relais.net/en/finder-relays-series-40.pdf (First Page, right Relays 40.52)? I would guess it works, as the rated power of the relays is 0.65[W], which means it needs a current of 650[mW]/24[V]=27[mA] and the PXI-6515 has a current of 475[mA]. Am I right? Or would I need anything else like an external power supply?

I am looking forward to you answers!

Greetings!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,815 Views)

You will still need a power supply to connect to the Vcc inputs on the PXI-6515 (there is one for each output port).  But the datasheet states 125mA per line when all of the lines in a port are used.  So the relays in the PXI-6515 can handle your requirements.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 8
(1,813 Views)

Hey crossrulz,

thanks for your reply.

So that means, that the PXI-6515 itself in combination with the PXI-Chassis and -Controller can´t generate any voltage and current? You need a 24[V] power supply to generate digital output signals?

I thought, that the whole PXI-System is kind of an power supply for the moduls (in this case the PXI-6515)?

Greetings.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,805 Views)

@dominikdlr wrote:

I thought, that the whole PXI-System is kind of an power supply for the moduls (in this case the PXI-6515)?

Not for industrial digital levels.  PXI is very much related to PCI and ATX which have 3.3V, 5V, and 12V supplies.  There is no 24V on the PXI backplane.  You could derive 24V from the backplane, but you would not have nearly the current capacity.  Besides, when it comes to industrial IO, you want isolation between your signals and controller power.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 8
(1,777 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@dominikdlr wrote:

Not for industrial digital levels.  PXI is very much related to PCI and ATX which have 3.3V, 5V, and 12V supplies.  There is no 24V on the PXI backplane.  You could derive 24V from the backplane, but you would not have nearly the current capacity.  Besides, when it comes to industrial IO, you want isolation between your signals and controller power.

Hey @crossrulz,

and what kind of powersupply would I need, to handle the mentioned relay via an digital output signal of the PXI-6515? Voltage 24[V]? Current, is there any limiting factors? Can't find anything about that in the manual.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,722 Views)

@dominikdlr wrote:

and what kind of powersupply would I need, to handle the mentioned relay via an digital output signal of the PXI-6515? Voltage 24[V]? Current, is there any limiting factors? Can't find anything about that in the manual.

That depends on your relays.  If your relay needs 24V, then you need a supply that can do 24V with whatever total current all of your relays require.

GCentral
Message 6 of 8
(1,719 Views)

So that would mean, as I have 32 outputs, which are divided on 4 ports, that if I would have 32x 24[V] relays, which require 30[mA], I would need a power supply with 24[V] and a minimum current of 32*30[mA]=960[mA]=0,96[A]. 

And all in all in this case (eight lines per port = 8 relays per port) the maximum current I can use is the 125[mA] listed in the Manual. So the maximum required current of the used relay would be 125[mA] - Right?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,714 Views)

@dominikdlr wrote:

So that would mean, as I have 32 outputs, which are divided on 4 ports, that if I would have 32x 24[V] relays, which require 30[mA], I would need a power supply with 24[V] and a minimum current of 32*30[mA]=960[mA]=0,96[A]. 

And all in all in this case (eight lines per port = 8 relays per port) the maximum current I can use is the 125[mA] listed in the Manual. So the maximum required current of the used relay would be 125[mA] - Right?

If each relays requires 30mA, that is all that matters since it is well below the 125mA maximum current a line can handle.  So at a minimum, you basically need a 1A power supply.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,711 Views)