From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-6255 not identified in MAX as DAQmx

We recently purchased a PXI-8108 controller for use as a spare and I'm having difficulty getting it to play well with our existing hardware and software. The controller we have been using is an older PXI-8106.

The new controller has Windows 7 where the old had XP, so I had to use more recent versions of PXI Platform Services and MAX, as well as DAQmx. The versions I've installed are: PXI Platform Services 3.0.4, MAX 5.3.1, DAQmx 9.2.2. I can't use more recent version of DAQmx because our we are using LabVIEW 8.5.1 and anything more recent doesn't support that.

The 6255 is showing up in the device manager under Windows, and the properties show that it is using the same hardware driver (nixsrkw.sys, rev. 1.13.0f4) as we use on the old controller. The 6255 also shows up in MAX, with a device identifier of PXI13::15:INSTR, but not listed as a DAQmx device. So, when I import the MAX settings file, the defined tasks won't run.

I haven't found any postings in the forum that quite match this scenario. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,208 Views)

Mike,

Firstly, I want to let you know that you will have problems using LabVIEW 8.5 with Windows 7.  The oldest version of LabVIEW supported in Win 7 is LabVIEW 2009 SP1:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B972242574D4BB99862575A7007520CB

About seeing your device in MAX, can you post a screenshot of what it looks like?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon F.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,182 Views)

Hi Jon,

Unfortunately, this is on a restricted network, so I have no way of bringing anything out from it, which makes it something of a pain, but I can try to describe it. MAX shows the PXI chassis (1042) containing the 8108 controller, the 6255 and a RIO 7813R. But it doesn't list the 6255 as a DAQmx device as it does with the 8106 controller.

We're actually running LabVIEW 8.5 on several machines with Windows 7. Apart from the code recompiling due to the changed directory structure and a couple of slightly odd behaviors we've had no problems, fortunately.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,172 Views)

Mike,

What kind of settings are you importing into this new version of MAX?  Since you've done a major upgrade to MAX, you may have to re-create some tasks, scales, etc.

Try to use your 6255 in LabVIEW to do a simple analog input task.  If this work then your problem is not DAQmx compatibility but rather the MAX setting you are trying to import.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon F.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,158 Views)