PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 5154 into PXIe-1075 fried socket

Solved!
Go to solution

So, I just tried installing a PXI 5154 into a PXIe-1075 chassis.  I followed the instructions that came with the card, but after powering on the chassis, there was no hardware detection wizard, and no LED light came on.  I was going to try it in a different slot, but when I slid the card out of the chassis, I saw that the socket looked burned (see image attached).  I'm not sure what I did wrong, and now I'm worried that I might have damaged some of the other cards that were installed in the chassis.  So my question is two-fold:  1.) Any idea what went wrong here? 2.) Any way to tell if the chassis itself is somehow damaged? 3.)  If the damage wasn't caused by some user-error on my part, is there any sort of warantee / replacement for the card?

IMAG0167.jpg

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,827 Views)

holy hell, I just saw how much these things cost ... I think i'm going to get fired

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,825 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dras

well, turns out the instructions included with the card were wrong ... the instructions said to plug the card into a chassis slot marked with a cicrled number, turns out I needed to plug the card into a slot with a cirled number with a little 'H' next to it. Everything seems to be working ok now, thank zeus

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,805 Views)

Oh no! You poor thing! Can you walk me through exactly how you inserted the card? Did you insert the card before turning on the chassis?

If you are pretty confident that you followed the instructions correctly, then there was probably some sort of damage either on the chassis or the card. 

Can you provide a screenshot of the backplane of the chassis as well? Maybe look for some bent pins in the chassis that may have caused a short?

Can you use a multimeter to check the voltage on the pin from the PXI chassis where it seemed like the card was melted? It's possible that there was a short either in the card itself or the chassis. 

Whether or not you are under warranty is probably going to depend on when you bought your hardware. I would call in to NI to get more information about that. 

Leah

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,803 Views)

Hi Dras,

After speaking with some more people around here, I would like to get some more information about your setup. 

1. What is the Serial Number information for the digitizer and chassis that you have?
2. Are you able to confirm whether the digitizer is working or not, or if the particular chassis slot you're using is working?
3. Which slot in the chassis did you plug in to?
4. What is the documentation that you were looking at that confused you?
5. Can you explain in detail all the steps you took in your setup?

In addition to all this information, I would also like to recommend that you send the device in for RMA to fix it. 

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,776 Views)

Hey,

I just wanted to be thorough about what may have happened in this situation to cause this thermal event. Most often when we see this sort of thermal activity, it is due to a shot in the chassis that may have been caused by bent pins on the back plane. 

These sort of events don't happen often, but it is possible that bent pins can occur when a user tries to insert a card into a slot that is not compatible. 

If you look on the back of your card, you can see that there is a physical difference between the connectors of the PXI and PXIe cards. 

This is a good picture that shows the different types of slots that you can see in a PXI/PXIe chassis. As you can see, there is a difference between timing slots, Express slots, PXI slots, and Hybrid slots. Each of these different types have a different symbol associated with them on the front of the chassis. The different symbols are explained in more detail in this KnowledgeBase article

What I am hypothesizing may have happened, is that you may have inserted a PXI hybrid card into an express slot. When this happened, it possible that two pins from the backplane of the chassis became jammed into one slot in the digitizer, causing a short. 

It is important to be familiar with what types of cards are compatible with the different slots in the chassis. We are committed to making our documentation as clear and as thorough as possible, so if any documentation concerning this is unclear, we are concerned with how we can improve the documentation to account for this. 

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,756 Views)