From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 4071 aborting reads

Hello,

This question is in regards to aborting asynchronous reads on the PXI-4071 digital multimeter. I've been struggling for awhile to understand how abort is supposed to work. I'm currently using the ReadAsync and ReadMultiPointAsync functions in the NationalInstruments.ModularInstruments.NISwitch.Fx45 dll. When I call Abort it seems to do nothing until the read completes i e. abort does not abort. Per the documentation abort, "Aborts a previously initiated measurement and returns the DMM to the idle state. " It specifically mentions initiate which I'm not using since I'm reading asynchronously and its not required to take a reading. I would bet there's A LOT of information missing from the documentation. It states it in such a simple, trivial way so you would expect it to work in that manner. The description of the abort command offers no further incite then the name of the function itself, its pretty frustrating. 

Question : How can I cancel a read that's in progress? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,004 Views)

Hi ,

Did you check the following document: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373009d.pdf

there is some action you can't do.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,966 Views)

I didn't find anything in this document that was helpful in answering my question. Thanks for that the though, that document will be nice to have.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,932 Views)

Here's a link to the programming flow for NI DMM:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370384V-01/dmm/programming_flow/

Abort is used in the Initiate/Fetch branch instead of the Read branch. When you perform a read, stopping the read is already accounted for in that VI. Abort operates more as a regular stop function. Could you have a multiple different tasks that run asynchronously and use the Initiate/Fetch/Abort methods?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,923 Views)