PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 2564 how to

I am trying to power a solenoid valve that needs 24V supply. I have a PXI 2564 slot which I am planning on using to supply the voltage and then turn it off (or relay) when I want the valve opened and closed. My question is to how I am supposed to (or how it is conventionally done) connect everything. I was planning on getting the 37 pin dsub connector to pin connector piece (shown in the link). Would I then just need to buy a 24V DC power supply and strip the output wires and put them into 2 of the pins on the connector? Also, is there any way to monitor/change current and voltage or does the 2564 simply just relay??

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210164

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,371 Views)

Hi lvuser333,

Conceptually, what you are saying seems correct. You will have to be careful with the Dsub connector you choose. Not all of them are rated to withstand 24V, but the one you linked should be compatible with your application, assuming you aren't pushing more than 5A through it. 

What do you mean by strip the two output lines?

It should be fairly simple. For instance, you could feed 24V to Channel 0 and connect your solenoid to COM 0. Then, when the switch closes the connection, you are powered on, and when it opens, you are powered off. A module like the PXI-4142 would likely be suitable for you. 

I am not sure I understand your last question. The 2564 is simply a relay card, but you can modify what power is output by the power module. 

I hope this helps. 

Best Regards,

Thomas B.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,359 Views)

hi, originally I did not completely understand all of the components and how a relay worked but I think I got it figured out now and it is working , thanks for the follow up tho

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,354 Views)