PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-1042 Chassis power switch LED is steady red

When attempting to turn on the PXI-1042 Chassis, the power switch LED turns steady green for ~2 seconds, and then turns steady red and remains in this state.  All modules were removed (PXI-8330, PXI-6704, PXI-5411, LeCroy PXD 1021 digitizer) with the AC plug removed, and when powering up the chassis again with the AC plug re-inserted, the LED went through the same process, remaining at steady red.  This issue arose after our building underwent a power outage, and during this outage the chassis was in standby mode, the AC power plug was still attached to the chassis, but the power to the surge protector (to which the other end of the AC power plug was attached) was turned off.  To my knowledge, there were no surges when power to the building was restored.  Does anyone know what could be causing this problem (possible power surge?), and can it be remedied/repaired?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,079 Views)
Hello MylesUT:

A steady red LED usually indicates that the exhaust fans on the chassis are not working properly. Can you confirm if your fan is coming on at all?
Regards,

Roland A.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Check out VI Roadshow
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,068 Views)
Roland,
Thanks for the information.  I did notice that one of the fans is not spinning and I'm in the process of putting in a replacement.  I'm assuming that I can use any generic cooling fan with the same dimensions, and simply wire it in identically to the old one.

-Myles
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,065 Views)
Hello MylesUT:

I would suggest calling into NI and getting the chassis repaired, unless you are fully comfortable with replacing the part yourself.
Regards,

Roland A.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Check out VI Roadshow
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,054 Views)
check for the standard voltage inlets
may be the main supply is mismatching with your powersupply of chassis
so confirm that whether you have
110 v
or
220 swiss

may help you
Haider
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,048 Views)
Thanks for the advice.  I contacted NI but they were unable to offer a cheap replacement fan, nor is our part still under warranty, but I was able to get in touch with the fan manufacturer to get the identical one (Mechatronics P/N: E9225X12B1FSR).  It actually runs on 12 VDC and has a tachometer output, which I'm assuming the chassis reads to determine whether or not to power up all of the attached devices.

-Myles
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,042 Views)

Yes, it needs a tachometer.  Make sure you get the pins correct or you could damage the fan circuitry.  The wire colors should be red=+12V, black=Return, white=tachometer.  And on the chassis circuit board, the connector pins closest to the large capacitor (pin 1) is +12V, the middle pin (2) is return and pin 3 is tachometer.  This is for if you have a PXI-1042, NOT a PXI-1042Q, so look for that.

-Jason

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,038 Views)

Hi Jason.

I have the same problem but with a PXI-1042Q Chassis. In my case, the three fans are working. What do you suggest me?

Jesus

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Hi Jesus,

Thanks for posting your question on the PXI discussion forums. 

However, I would suggest for you to start a discussion on a new forum. This discussion is slightly older and therefore does not get as much visibility in our community. If it's a similiar problem I would recommend referencing the troubleshooting steps suggested in this forum on your new post. 

Regards

Carli S.
Troubleshooting & Maintenance Digital Business Manager - NI
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,014 Views)