PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe-8371 two versions?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to ask or if this information is avalible elsewhere, if it is I can't find it.

Anyway, I have recently aquired a pre owne PXIe chassis with a PXIe-8370 controller but no PCIe host card, as such I have looking at some used PCIe 8371's and it looks like there are two versions of it, one smaller one as pictured here: https://www.ni.com/en-gb/support/model.pcie-8371.html and a larger one that looks more like a PCIe-8372 with one port missing.

Can someone tell me if theres any difference between the two and if they should both be compatible with my PXIe-8370?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,339 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author willj00

Both should be compatible with the PXIe-8370. The original PCIe-8371 was the same shape and size as the PCIe-8372, just with a single port. It was redesigned back in 2010 to be smaller. Here's a blurb from the PCIe-8371 manual addressing this:

How does the PCIe-8371 (part number 194591x-02) differ from the PCIe-8371 (part number 199994x-01)?

Besides the physical weight and size reduction, there is now a front panel LED that indicates link status, as shown in the LED Status Descriptions of MXI-Express x4 Products table. The smaller size allows the PCIe-8371 to fit in systems requiring a low-profile card when used with the low-profile front bracket included with the card. You may see a small performance increase and/or reduced latency in most applications, but otherwise there is no functional difference.

Part number 194591x-02 was the original PCIe-8371

Part number 199994x-01 is the current PCIe-8371

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,303 Views)

Brilliant thank you, I appriciate the datailed response! The refresh explains why I couldn't find much documentaion on it, I guess it was all just replaced when they updated it.

Edit: I completly missed that bit in the manual, I thought there must have been something in there.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,298 Views)

Does anyone out there in NI user-land have a low profile bracket for a PCI-8371 p/n 199994C-01L? They all came with one, but we lost ours and now need it. Anyone?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(349 Views)