PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe-8361 compatibility with PXI-1033 and PXIe-1073 chassis

Hi All,

Anyone have an idea how to resolve my issue.

I have a Win 10 HP PC with a PCIe-8361 installed. When I connect it to a PXIe-1073 chassis, the PC boots-up without problem.

All devices are also detected on NI-MAX.

The issue occurs when I connect the same PC to a PXI-1033 chassis. The PC does boot until Windows Login screen, however, it reboots on its own after awhile with a message saying that it was caused by DRIVER VERIFIER DMA VIOLATION.

If I disconnect the 1033 chassis, there's no problem.

I have also tried connecting a different PC with a PCIe-8361 and it boots up without a problem.

So it seems that the issue is on the HP PC with PCIe-8361.

I have tried to update the PC BIOS and also installed the BIOS Compatibility software. These didn't correct the issue. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,188 Views)

7_little_pigs,

Have you tried removing the boards from the 1033?  When you installed the BIOS Compatibility software did you also flip the switch on the PCIe-8361?  Are there any other slots in the HP PC you can try?  Are there any non-NI boards in the chassis?

You could also try resetting the MAX configuration data, though I don't expect that to help.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,136 Views)

Have you tried removing the boards from the 1033? 

No, I didn't try this out as I didn't have a problem when I connected a different PC on the 1033. But I will try this to verify.

When you installed the BIOS Compatibility software did you also flip the switch on the PCIe-8361? 

Yes, SW1 was turned ON. I mean it worked with the PXIe chassis connected, is there a special instruction for connecting to a PXI chassis?

Are there any other slots in the HP PC you can try? 

Yes there are and we tried to move the PCIe-8361 to different slots and didn't correct the issue.

Are there any non-NI boards in the chassis?

We are using ALL NI boards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,105 Views)

Any updates on pulling some or all of the boards out?  Which boards do you have in the chassis when it crashes?  Do you know what driver version you have for those boards?

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,079 Views)

@Robert__R..

I know this is a veeerrrryyy late reply, I've been caught with work for the past weeks.

Anyhow, I tried pulling out all the modules and left only the PXI-1033 connected to the PC and it booted without a problem.

What can be the problem here?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,995 Views)

7_little_pigs,

Do you know which card is causing the problem?  Hopefully you can narrow it down to a single card in the system.  If so I'd like to know what the card is and what driver version is installed.  If I can reproduce it then it's much easier to get it fixed.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,972 Views)

Any resolution to this issue?

I am upgrading to windows 10 PC with older hardware. I have a PCe8361 in the PC (bridge) and a PXI 1033 with 4 cards (PXI 6512, PXI 6511, PXI 6229, PXI 6255). When I boot the PC - boots up normally. I check the Device Manager and the cards are recognized and present (all working correctly). When I go to NIMax - I can see the cards on the PXI bus - I click on either of the digital I/O cards (6512/6511) there are no issues I can run test panels etc. I click on either of the other 2 cards - the PC freezes. I removed all the cards from the PXI rack and tried just running either of the analog cards in the first slot - same issue.

Any thoughts?

-Amit

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,601 Views)

Hi Amit,

Can you try installing MXIe BIOS Compatibility Software and setting the first switch on the PCIe-8361 to 'ON'?  This will help rule out a configuration problem. 

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,596 Views)

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply!

Issue with that is the card I have does not have the Dip Switch - I am one of the fortunate ones that have the series before the dip switch!

In Windows Device Manager I can see the cards all recognized - so I don't know if it is a BIOS issue - it could very well be - but I don't have the option of the Dip Switch to check this.

abhalla_1_0-1602187697428.png

above from the troubleshooting guide: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000x0MKCAY&l=en-CA

Amit

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,593 Views)

My issue ended up being hardware related.  The PCIe 8361 version I had (older version without the DIP switches) was the issue.  Once I replaced it with a new version - everything worked correctly (I didn't have to flip the DIP switch or install the BIOS Compatibility software).  Lucky for me I had a card at my shop (for some reason we had a spare?!?).

-Amit

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,575 Views)