From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC reboots itself on 2nd DAQ cycle when ADC input cable is attached

I'm using a PXI crate with a PCI board in a Win2k PC. I recently upgraded to NIDAQ 8.0.1f0 and ported from Traditional NI-DAQ to NIDAQmx because we want to use a PXI-6122 ADC board (which isn't supported by Traditional NI-DAQ). Previously we were using a PXI-6115 with Traditional NI-DAQ 7.4. The only other card in the PXI crate is a 6608, which we are using to time the ADC conversions.

The following problem appears with both the 6115 and the 6122. On the first data acquisition cycle, everything works fine. After that, I stop all tasks and call DAQmxClearTask for each. Then a few seconds later I create new (unnamed) tasks in the same way as before, start the data acquisition again, and after a few seconds the pc crashes and reboots itself. I don't have a console on this computer so I can't see what it says in the blue screen. I'm using DAQmxRegisterEveryNSamplesEvent to receive the ADC data.

Now, if I disconnect the cable carrying signal from the outside world to the ADC, everything works fine. And all is well if I have the cable connected but use MAX to start/stop data acquisition. I don't understand how the cable could make a difference, but there you go.

Is this a known problem? What do I need to do to avoid it? Or is there something wrong with my hardware?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,878 Views)

Hello CXROGuy,

Can you find out if the crash occurs after so much data has been acquired?  Or, if it is crashing when the second DAQmxClearTask is being called?

I doubt something is wrong with the hardware, since it works in MAX and for one data acquisition cycle.  You could try reinstalling NI-DAQmx.

I would like to get some more specific crash information from you.  Would it be possible for you to go to www.ni.com/support and email NI?  If you do this, please reference this post in your email.

Thanks,

Laura

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,865 Views)