Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-XNET - Invalid CAN interface

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Main problem:

I have problem to get CAN interface in my PXI-rack up-and-running. Interface name is invalid

Hardware:

PXIe-1078, with controller PXIe-8820, and CAN module NI-PXI 8512

Software:

LabVIEW 2015

NI-XNET driver 15.5 (both laptop and on PXI)

Problem description:

When looking in MAX , NI-XNET interface indicates that I have two CAN interfaces named "CAN1" and "CAN2".

It is also possible to use the "port blink" funtion successfully, for both CAN1 and CAN2.

BUT, When using bus monitor functionality, I got error message, indicating that "Interface name given does not specify a valid and existign interface"

See attached pictures below.

Also, when trying to use the example code, CAN Loopback Test.vi, the same error occurs.

Anyone knows how to solve this issue ?

/BR ulfjon

MAX.png

busmonitor.png

Error.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,001 Views)

Hey,

How is it going, have you  managed to solve this?

What I found is that you might be missing a compatibility library, since you have NI 8512, check this document:

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/9717/en/

Kind Regards,

-Natalia

Message 2 of 5
(4,950 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ulfjon
Hi,
Thanks for support.
I have found the problem
When using MAX first, to set up a n xnet session, MAX is not closing the session properly.
So when using the CAN channel in labviewcode, will result in this error code.
Not, a very good code explination however i would say.
Perhaps it is difficult for labview to know wether the channel is occupied or not exist at all.
Message 3 of 5
(4,936 Views)

Hi Natalia,

Your solution worked for me.  

Thanks

Flavio

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,115 Views)

Hello ulfjon,

I am trying to communicate with 8512 CAN Module using PXIE Hardware, the same error is arriving when i run the LabVIEW example code. You have mentioned that you need to close the NI max session. I did not create any sort of session in the NI Max though in NI Max am getting the results(CAN DATA) properly and not in  the LabVIEW code, can you help me out?? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,351 Views)