cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXIe-1073 connection to PC / Laptop - MXI-Express x1 to PC

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

We have got NI PXIe-1073 with MXI-Express x1 and installed NI PXI-2501 FET Multiplexer & NI PXI-4072 6 1/2 Digit Flexx DMM cards which we need to use and connect to the modern PC / Laptop without ExpressCard or PCI-Express.

Is the "ExpressCard - 8360 MXI-Express Interface" is the only option to get it connected to the PC / Laptop? 

Can the "ExpressCard - 8360 MXI-Express Interface" be used together with the "ExpressCard to USB" adapter to make it work? 

In addition, would we be required a sort of a licence for the DMM to use?

Any recommendations are welcome!

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Jev

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,115 Views)
Solution
Accepted by jev.k

Hi Jev,

Hope you're well!

Regarding connecting the PXIe-1073 to a host PC/laptop; you're going to need something that supports the MXI-Express x1 from the host PC. This is the ExpressCard-8360 for a laptop or the PCIe-8361/8362. Alternatively, you could use a thunderbolt remote controller (PXIe-8301) in a different chassis if you have a native Thunderbolt 3 connection.

I'm afraid I can't comment on an adapter; my instinct would be a "no", as the MXI kit uses the PCIe switches/bridges to enable control, and I don't think an adapter could give this hardware interface / the speeds required for communication. I'll let another community member answer that though 🙂

Regarding the DMM - you'll need the free driver NI-DMM, which can be used with a variety of languages (LabVIEW, Python, C#, .NET etc).

Cheers,

Nick

Message 2 of 4
(2,069 Views)

Sorry... one more question, you have mentioned that using NI-DMM driver makes it to connect with the LabView. But does NI provides a simple GUI in order to capture data from the DMM? Basically, we just need an accurate DMM (which is NI PXI-4072) to see the data on the screen (as a graph) and capture it into CSV file. As the LabView will require a paid license to use.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,020 Views)

Heya,

NI-DMM also has InstrumentStudio, which would match your needs.

You can read some more info here.

Cheers,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,010 Views)