From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXI-8431 RS-485 max baud rate?

I have a NI PXI-1045 chassis. I am using a NI-8431/4 RS-485 serial card that has up to 3 Mbit/s baud rate max.

Is there any NI-PXI RS-485 card available that has 4 Mbit/s or higher baud rate? If NO what are my options?

Can each channel (4 ch) in NI-8431/4 be programmed to handle different baud rate independently? 

Thanks for your help.

-LVLV

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,787 Views)

As noted in this KnowledgeBase, 3 Mbit/s is the max that we offer. Each channel is able to operate at its own baud rate.

Not sure what options you want to hear about. Your options to achieve a faster transfer rate could be to split a stream of data over two ports. For example, if you wanted to send the string "123456" at 6 Mbit/s, you can use two ports:

cpu A             |    data   |  cpu B   |  merge strings

port 1 (3Mbit/s)  |  1  3  5  | "135"    | "123456"

port 2 (3Mbit/s)  |  2  4  6  | "246"    |

Regards,

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,771 Views)

Thanks.

Can you recommend any NI RS-485 PXI or non-PXI serial card that can handle 4 Mbits/s baud rate?

I have a requirement of at least 4 Mbits/s baud rate for RS-485 serial port in the project.

Thanks for your support,

-LVLV

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,768 Views)

Unfortunately, 3 Mbit/s is the max rate that we offer. A possible workaround is to split your data across two RS-485 ports as I tried to describe above. Also, remember that if you want 4 Mbit/s data throughput, you will need a higher baud rate to account for the overhead of the serial data. For serial interfaces, overhead can account for 25-50% of your data rate.

Good luck

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,760 Views)

I found a RS-485 (PCI) commercial board that can handle up to 10 M baud rate.

I would like to keep my NI PXI-1045 chassis but I have to replace the NI-8350 rackmount controller with a commercial PC to handle the new RS-485 PCI board and the MXI-4 PXI-interface cards.

What software and hardware I need to make this work (running PXI chassis by a PC)?

Is it going to work or PXI chassis only works with NI-8350?

Please advise!!

Thanks,

-LVLV 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,729 Views)

In order to control your PXI-1045 chassis from a desktop PC, you will need a MXI interface. It sounds like you may already have one, if not you can go with a PCIe option(MXI-Express) or PCI option(MXI-4). The main difference will be the form factor. Choose based on what slots are available on your host PC.

Once all connected, you will need a couple drivers in order to get things working.

- PXI Platform Services makes your MXI and chassis work with your computer, so it is a seemless extension of your PCI(e) bus.

- Depending on what PXI modules you have installed in your chassis, you will need to install the appropriate drivers (ex. NI-DAQmx for any Data Acquisition cards, NI-Switch for any Switch modules, etc.)

In short, you should be able to connect your PC to our PXI chassis by using a MXI interface.

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,713 Views)