From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My embedded computer, NI 8171, keeps rebooting.

I have a embedded computer (NI 8171) with a PXI 1011 chassis. My computer keeps rebooting before it load to Win 2K. It will reboot anytime after the monitor shows the big colourful Win 2K screen saying "Window 2000 professional". In one out of ten times it is able to load win2K and the computer will work fine for some time (between 5 hours to ten minutes. It will then reboot itself afterward). The rest of the time, the computer keeps rebooting, especially when it is checking the C driver.

I suspect some of the files in the Win2K are screwed up. (or maybe the chassis malfunctions.) I do have the NI recovery disks. The embedded computer has network connection but has no floppy driver or CD rom. Please advise the b
est solution to this problem.

Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,318 Views)
There are several possible reasons why your controller is having issues with booting. There could be a software problem, which we can fix fairly easily. There could also be a hardware problem, which could be difficult to isolate.

The best way to pinpoint hardware problems is by trading components with other systems. Do you have any other controllers or chassis available for trying this hardware with? If not, we may eventually need you to RMA the system, as I suspect that there is a power supply issue by what you describe. If this is the case, you may have problems reinstalling your software.

For reloading the software on the controller, there are several options. You said that you have recovery disks, do you mean a recovery CD? If this is the case, yo
u can use this CD with a USB CD-ROM to reimage your controller to its factory state. You would boot from the CD and follow the on-screen instructions. Another way to do this is to use the files contained in the images directory, at c:\images. This process involves creating a boot disk, deleting everything from the hard drive except the images directory, and then reinstalling the OS and drivers manually. You can find instructions for this process at:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/862567530005f09c86256751005d994e?OpenDocument

You can also access this information by searching for Knowledge Base 1KBB15G4 on our website, www.ni.com.

Should you have more questions or need an RMA, please visit www.ni.com/ask to generate a Service Request Number. Then you can call us for additional suppport

Ryan Tamblin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,318 Views)