From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility Software 1.5 Bricked my BIOS

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a rack mount NI PC - RMC-8356 with a PCIe-8398 running Windows 10

I ran MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility Software 1.5

http://www.ni.com/download/mxi-express-bios-compatibility-software-1.5/3764/en/

After that the BIOS would not start; so, I had to remove the PCIe-8398 

Now the BIOS starts; but, I get the following message in the BIOS and Windows won't start

BIOS stops on the Recovery Tab with the message

ROM Image is not loaded

ROM Image update denied

How do I recover from this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,352 Views)

Hi,

Are you able to reset the BIOS to its defaults? Or have any access to the BIOS properties to try and flash a different image? 

There's a WikiHOW article that outlines that process.

The MXI BIOS Compatibility SW is designed to change the way a computer enumerates its BIOS to allow for large PCI bus access to MXI systems. However, the MXI BIOS Compatibility 1.5 is not compatible with Windows 10 systems, as I think you just found out. 

If you are able to reset the BIOS and resume operation, I would recommend following the full steps of the guide linked below to troubleshoot the connection. If that fails, there is a recent version of MXI BIOS Compatibility that supports Windows 10.

MXI Compatibility and Connectivity Troubleshooting Guide

NI MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility Software 18.0

Kevin S.
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,328 Views)

I tried resetting the BIOS to default.   That did not resolve the issue; but, it also added an entry to upgrade the BIOS.  When I did that the BIOS update failed and the BIOS will not even start.  Talking with NI, it seems there is no way to reload the BIOS on this system once it gets corrupted - I have to return the PC to NI for return/replace.

Fortunately I had just purchased a 2nd RMC-8356 to build a 2nd system.

Replacing that one and using the previous hard drive, the BIOS now starts; but, I still get "ROM Image is not loaded".

NI is researching to see what that message means; but, I assume that it means the UEFI boot record has been corrupted.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,324 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author markshancock

Evidently this condition is not user recoverable
PC was under warranty and was returned to NI

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,131 Views)