PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MXI-4,PXI,SCXI do not play well together

My test system consist of a PC, 2 PXI chassis's, and 3 SCXI chassis's.
The PC contains 2 MXI-4 boards connected to PXI-1045 & PXI-8336 MXI-4. I will call these PXI A and PXI B.
PXI A uses a PXI-6259 & SCXI-1349 on SCXI-1001 (SC1) chassis.
PXI B uses a PXI-6259 & SCXI-1346 on SCXI-1001 (SC2) chassis. The SCXI-1346 is daisy chained to SCXI-1349 on SCXI-1001 (SC3) chassis.
Measurement & Automation is configured as:
PXI A  SC1  daisy chain 0  address 0
PXI B  SC2  daisy chain 0  address 1
PXI B  SC3  daisy chain 1  address 2
SCXI-1520 modules in all SCXI's. Terminal block is SCXI-1314. Just getting started, so only 1 terminal block wired with 2 humidity sensors 1 sensor on channel 0 and other on channel 1.
If only PXI A turned on and configured, the sensor's work perfectly on any module.
If only PXI B turned on and configured, the sensor's work perfectly on any module.
When I have both PXI A and PXI B turned on and configured, sensor's DO NOT work perfectly.
When I put the terminal block on any module on PXI A, the sensors work perfectly. I can blow on sensor, independently, and see the sensor for that channel register different values.
When I put the terminal block on any module on PXI B, the sensors DO NOT work correctly. Excitation voltage is output to sensor correctly. Sensor humidity output voltage is correct.
The LabVIEW and Measurement & Automation software will not read the value correctly.
When I have the terminal block in module 1 of SC2, I blow on the sensor connected to port 0, the software will indicate that both port 0 and port 1 have changed.
When I blow on the sensor connected to port 1, the software will not indicate a change in the sensor values.
When I place the terminal block in module 1 of SC3, the opposite reaction would occur.
When I blow on the sensor connected to port 1, the software will indicate that both port 0 and port 1 have changed.
When I blow on the sensor connected to port 0, the software will not indicate a change in the sensor values.
Strange as it is, that is what is happening. It's not the sensors. Probably not hardware related at all. My best guess is that the software gets confused somehow.
Has anyone seen this type of problem?
I had more detail. Would not post because my 2800 characters exceeded the 5000 character limit?????
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,959 Views)

Update:

Today, it seems that SC1 is behaving the same as SC2.

When I have the terminal block in module 1 of SC1, I blow on the sensor connected to port 0, the software will indicate that both port 0 and port 1 have changed. When I blow on the sensor connected to port 1, the software will not indicate a change in the sensor values.

Nothing was changed overnight that I am aware of other than a power down when we leave for the day. I am not sure what is going on.

Any thoughts on a potential solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,948 Views)

On the Wednesday morning before Thanksgiving, the system would not recognize the last SCXI. I wiggled the cable used to daisy chain the 2 SCXIs together. After this, everything worked as expected. Since we have multiple labs at our facility, I was not sure if some other group might have shut off some equipment for the Thanksgiving holiday that was causing problems for our equipment ( I'm old enough to have experienced such things ). Anyway, I waited until today to see if that was a possibility. Since it was still working this morning, I wiggled the cable again and lost connection to the SCXI. My assumption is that there is a problem with the cable which manifest itself in the problems I was seeing.

I want to thank everyone who took a few moments to give me some advice on possible solutions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,895 Views)