From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX can't find PXI chassis

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using a Windows 10 system with a PCIe-8362 card installed.  The card is connected via the supplied cable to a PXI-1045 system with a PXI-8360 card installed in it.  MAX detects the PCIe-8362 card in the PC but doesn't see the PXI chassis.  Platform services has been installed.  Rebooted PC and PXI chassis multiple times making sure the PXI chassis is on before powering up the PC.  I swapped the PCIe card in the tower to another slot.  MAX still isn't seeing the PXI chassis.  The link light is off on the PXI-8360 card.

I have another complete set of equipment that has the exact same issue.  Windows 7 PC, PCIe-8362 card, PXI-1045 chassis, and PXI-8360 card.  Neither system will find the chassis in MAX. 

I tried creating a support ticket but for some reason it keeps stating that there was an error and that I need try again later.  I've tried about 15 times in the last 3 days and I get the same error.  I ran numerous searches for this issue and nothing has helped.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,535 Views)

I was able to get it to work on the Windows 10 machine.  I pulled the controller card out and reinstalled it into a non controller slot and turned on the PXI chassis.  I booted up the PC and the LED link light turned on.  Obviously, the controller card needs to be in the controller slot so nothing showed up in MAX.  I then shut everything down and moved the controller card back into the controller slot.  I booted up the PXI and then the PC.  Now the link light comes on and stays on when the PC boots up and it shows up in MAX.  I guess I'll do the same for the other setup I have.  This is bizarre... 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,521 Views)

@ChrisGapinski wrote:

I was able to get it to work on the Windows 10 machine.  I pulled the controller card out and reinstalled it into a non controller slot and turned on the PXI chassis.  I booted up the PC and the LED link light turned on.  Obviously, the controller card needs to be in the controller slot so nothing showed up in MAX.  I then shut everything down and moved the controller card back into the controller slot.  I booted up the PXI and then the PC.  Now the link light comes on and stays on when the PC boots up and it shows up in MAX.  I guess I'll do the same for the other setup I have.  This is bizarre... 

It might just need a "reseating".  I have seen similar issues with PCI cards where it looks like it is in, but it isn't quite enough to make a good connection.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,519 Views)

No luck with the Windows 7 machine.  I re-seated the controller card and tried different slots.  It won't estabilish a link with the PC.  I removed the PCIe card, booted the PC up, shutdown the PC, reinstalled the PCIe card, and then booted the PC up again.  I made sure to follow the boot up sequence as noted in NI documentation during the debug process i.e. PXI chassis must be on before PC boots.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,514 Views)

Hello ChrisGapinski,

According to what I understand so far there are some issues identifying the PXI chassis, PXI-1045. But I'm not quite following you with the understanding of the set up in terms of hardware/software and the reason behind the change of the OS (Windows 10 to 7) please take into consideration that the system configuration may change according to the OS version.

Can you please share with us a MAX Technical Report from both computers?. In case the Max Technical Report have any confidential information that cannot be shared online I will encourage you to contact directly National Instruments support.

As a general tip please take into consideration mention the steps you already follow or the documentation you find online. This will help the others contributors in the forum give the best possible suggestions and understand the issue in detail.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,496 Views)

I have two systems: two computers, two PXI-1045 chassis, two PXI-8360 cards, and two PCIe-8362 cards.

Setup 1: (not working)

Windows 7 PC with a PCIe-8362 card installed

PXI-1045 Chassis with a PXI-8360 card installed

Setup 2: (working)

Windows 10 PC with a PCIe-8362 card installed

PXI-1045 Chassis with a PXI-8360 card installed

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,494 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChrisGapinski

You don't have the BIOS compat mode switch set, do you?  That can prevent a link if you don't also have the MXI-Express BIOS compatibility driver installed.

Another thing to check is the cable orientation.  Some of the first ones had a 'D' shell that wasn't well defined and let you plug the connector in upside down.  I'd look at both ends carefully to make sure they're right-side up.

- Robert

Message 7 of 8
(4,492 Views)

Robert,

It was the cable orientation as you noted.  The 'D' shell is oval shaped and will let you flip it around.  There isn't a clear marking for up or down.  I flipped it around and the PXI Chassis shows up.  I'm going to mark the cables we have so it doesn't happen again. 

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,482 Views)