PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX can't connect to PXI system

Hello,

I am currently trying to use a PXI system (1042q chassis + 8106 controller + modules) as a realtime system.

when booting in RT-safe mode I can change IP, install software etc. However the installed modules won't show up under MAX.

When booting in normal RT-mode  I can't connect to the system via MAX at all (MAX showing a red 'X'). The same applies whether host and Rt-system are connected via Intranet-LAN or whether they are separated from our Intranet and just connected via a common router.

Does someone know a fix for this?

Best Regards Norman

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,693 Views)

Hello Norman,

it seems to me that you have not installed the necessary network driver package for the real-time OS. Please boot the controller again in safe mode and use MAX to open the add/remove software dialog for the PXI controller:17737iD92ED9A65C7BA741

For the PXI-8106 controller, you should be all right with the marked Intel 8254x Ethernet driver. Install, reboot PXI controller (diabling safe-mode of course), and you should be able to see the RT system in MAX.

The installed cards (if configurable through MAX, e.g. IMAQ and DAQ cards) will only appear in "normal" RT boot mode, so seeing no cards in safe mode is the expected behavior. The reason for this is that the safe mode OS is loaded from ROM, which is too small to include all RT hardware drivers...

Best regards,
Sebastian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,679 Views)

Thank you for your answer.

The driver 8254x was installed however (even with the same version as in your screenshot).

I tried to reinstall the driver -> no change.

I tried to delete other network drivers to prevent eventual driver conflict -> no change

I still can connet to the realtime target in safe mode but not in normal mode. Any ideas?

Best Regards

Norman

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,674 Views)

Hi Norman,

which versions of LabVIEW/LabVIEW Real-Time and NI-VISA are you using? For the PXI-8106, you will need at least the LabVIEW 8.2.1 generation PXI drivers (e.g. PXI Platform Services). All these drivers are included in NI-VISA, so I would recommend updating to the current version 4.6.2.

You can find the current NI-VISA package here:  NI-VISA 4.6.2 - Pocket PC 2003, Real-Time OS, Windows 2000/7/7 64 bit/XP/Server 2003/Server 2008 x64...

Will you update me on the detection status after installing the update and rebooting the PC?

Best regards,

Sebastian

Message 4 of 4
(3,624 Views)