From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to connect a digital out channel to drive a trigger bus line

Solved!
Go to solution
Using NI6124 and NI6541
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,599 Views)

Hello bjasper,

The is most definitely a way to, but it depends on your form factor and you will only be able to do it with a PFI line.  If you are using PCI cards you will need to set up a RTSI cable in MAX and then you can export a signal over the RTSI line.  If you are using PXI, then you can route signals over the back plane.  

Could you give a few more details as far as form factor and what specific signal you are looking to export? (Like a pulse train or single trigger) Thanks, 

ColeR
Field Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,590 Views)
I'm using a PXI 1065 chassis.  From what you say I guess I'd like to use the NI6541 (data memory) to generate 2 to 4 unique single-pulse triggers.  One of the triggers will be consumed by the NI6124 to initiate sampling (via PXI trig bus).  The other triggers would be consumed external to the PXI chassis.  So, would the 4 script markers be routable to either the PXI_TRIG bus or the PFI pins?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,587 Views)

Hello bjasper,

Are you working with LabVIEW?  If so, take a look at an example called Dynamic Generation with Marker Event.  You can find this under Hardware Input and Output»Modular Instruments»HSDIO»Dynamic Generation»Scripted.  In there there is a use of the niHSDIO Export Signal VI.  You can use that VI multiple times to specify where each one of your triggers in your script gets routed.  With this you can specify both PXI trigger lines and PFI lines.  

ColeR
Field Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,557 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bjasper

Hello bjasper,

If you're not working with LabVIEW, here's an example that you can look at: C:\Program Files\IVI\Drivers\niHSDIO\Examples\c\Dynamic Generation with Script\DynamicGenerationWithMarker

Hope this helps!

ColeR
Field Engineer
Message 5 of 6
(3,553 Views)
We're using CVI...looks like script will do it.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,543 Views)