From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation problem with NI-DMM

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear NI-Experts,

I make my first steps with PXI system. Yesterday whole day I installed the drivers for my PXI. At the beginning it was simple, till I install NI-DMM for the multimeter PXI-4065. After installing this app my PC reboot and by windows initialization I got the BLUE screen. Hard-Reboot and open NI-MAX all PXI devices were inactive (with red cross) and my PXI-chasis could not be recognised.

When I remove NI-DMM then my PXI-chasis appears again with the other PXI-cards in NI-MAX.

I tried also with old Driver for NI-DMM without success.

I assume, it is driver conflict.

Has anybody an idea, how to solve this problem?

Overview Hardware/Software:

• Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Chasis PXIe-1084
  • PXI-4065 (Multimeter)
  • PXIe-8301 (remote control)
  • PC HP EliteDesk 800 G5
  • Connection with Thunderbolt

Thank you very much in Advance.

Many regards
Alex

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,036 Views)

This could be related to Thunderbolt enumeration.  Could you check for Thunderbolt enumeration options in the BIOS?  Something like Native vs BIOS, Legacy vs. OS, etc. might make a difference in successfully enumerating the chassis with the additional device inserted. 

Whether this works or not, please provide photos of any Thunderbolt-specific menus, since it might help understand the options.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,988 Views)

On top of checking out the BIOS options, do you remember what message appeared when you got the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD)? This may give us an idea of what the issue.

Anytime a BSoD happens, the computer should produce a memory dump file. Can you check to see if there's a MEMORY.dmp file in C:\Windows that was create around the time that you saw the BSoD? It should be a fairly large file, generally a little over a GB. If that's there, can you send that in? I don't know what the file size limit for the forums is, so if you can't post it here, you can try copying it to our FTP site at ftp://ftp.ni.com/incoming using a Windows Explorer.

If there's no MEMORY.DMP, I can send instruction on how to manually induce a BSoD so that one gets created. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,983 Views)

Hello,

it comes "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION" as a message with the blue screen.

Thank you very much for your help.

Many regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,960 Views)

Hello,

the error in the before replay from me is wrong. The right error message is "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION". 

I tried to upload the MEMORY.dmp to your link without success. No rights to do this.

many regards

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,953 Views)

Hello,

so it was possible to upload the MEMORY.dmp. You will find in your upload Folder under MEMORY.zip 

many regards

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,949 Views)

Hello,

in attachment you will find the list of installed devices. This list appears only after second Windows start.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,946 Views)

Hello,

in attachment I add the error description extracted the from dmp-file.

many regards

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,934 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AD-HW

Can you try going into the BIOS menu and disabling Kernel DMA Protection? This is a new feature of Windows that we've seen interfere with some of our hardware. NI is currently working on a different solution for this, but at this time, disabling Kernel DMA Protection is the only solution.

If your BIOS doesn't give you the option to toggle Kernel DMA Protection, you can also try disabling Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VTd)? This should give you the same result.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,918 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AD-HW

Thank you very much.

It was very helpful suggestion. I found in BIOS the setting "DMA Protection" and disabled.

Now the Windows 10 works properly without blue screen.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,903 Views)