From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get more accuarate results measuring DC(Volts) by scanning muliple channels than I do with measuring each channel seperately; unless I sample for a full second.. Why?

Using a PCI MIO 16XE 50 I'm scanning 16 channels. I decided to measure each channel idependantly as a comparison. I found the scanning method, via Acquire Waveforms, more accurate. The DAQ user manual suggests this would not be the case.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,539 Views)
What is meant by "more accurate"? And what do you mean by sampling for a full second? Are you averaging the signals over a second?

Are you measuring the signals going directly into your MIO card?

I've had similar instances of this type, so I'm trying to find out exactly what you are seeing.

Mark
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,539 Views)
I collect 1000 samples at a sample rate of 1000s/s. I then take the mean. I'm measuring a dc output connected to my breakout box. My dc output is of a lowpass filter with a 32k resistor and a 47nF cap. I am measuring every 100 mS as my oven temperature ramps up. I subtract each measurement by its previous and don't expect to see greater than 500 to 600uV of change. I see 1 to 5mV of change when I measure each channel independantly. I must admit that it doesn't happen all the time. I couldn't get it to happen yesterday when I was experimenting with different techniques of acquiring single channel data. If you want to discuss further let me know. Regards.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,539 Views)
The 1000 samples at 1000s/s was the condition for the single channel collection experiment I tried. What I described with respect to the collection of data in the oven was 16 channels,1000 samples, at a scan rate of 1250s/s.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,539 Views)
Thanks for the info. In your 16 channel acquisition, are you getting 1000 samples at 1250 samples per second...is that continuous? Do you average those?

Mark
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,539 Views)
I'm using the Acquire Waveforms.vi so it is continuous.
I store all the data in an array and take the mean of each indivual channel.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,539 Views)
Hello;

We need more information on how you are measuring the channels separately, and what exactly do you mean by sampling for a full second?
Filipe
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,539 Views)
I did some experimenting and here's what I found. I have 16 devices inside an oven with wires running out and connecting to my breakout box. With the oven On or Off I get the desired results with a multi channel (Acquire Waveforms.vi) approach. With the oven off I get desired results with the one channel at a time (Acquire Waveform) approach. With the oven On I get the 1 to 5mV of noise. The amount of samples for both methods was 1000. The Scan Rate for multi channel = 1250s/s. The sample rate for the single channel was 20ks/s. The oven bieng on results in noise on my devices. For some reason the multi channel approach reduces it.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,539 Views)