PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use PXI 1033?

I have some NI hardware that I want to set up but I am not sure how to proceed (the last person to set the equipment up has left the organization.) Would appreciate some general advice. 
1. I have some PXI-1033 chassis with some PXI modules installed. How do I get the data to/from these modules? Here is what I think needs to happen, is this right? I have some 8631 cards (PCIe) that should be plugged into a desktop PC. There seems to be a proprietary M-M cable that would run from the PCIe card in the desktop to the PXI chassis. Then I would run LabView on the PC to talk to the PXI instruments.
2. I have some PXI-1042 and PXIe-1062Q chassis with PXI instruments installed. In this case there is an embedded controller such as PXI-8176 and no proprietary high bandwidth cable on the back of the chassis. In this case do I need to run LabView on the embedded controller and then get the data off the chassis using an ethernet cable (for instance)? Is it possible to run the chassis tethered to a desktop PC that is running LabView, so the instruments are talking directly to the LabVew on the desktop PC?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,168 Views)

Hello,

1. If you've PCIe 8631 installed in your PC and the PXI 1033 chassis has the PXI 8631 card installed, using the MXI cable you can interact with the PXI instruments directly from your PC (check your NI MAX for the instruments detected)
  2. If you've an embedded controller, you could develop a LabVIEW program to run on the controller on standalone mode or make the program on the controller to receive/transmit data over LAN to another PC. If you need high speed tethering of the PXI chassis directly to the PC, you would need a MXI card as in (1). Embedded controller will have highest bandwidth access to the PXI instruments than the MXI express (limited by the interface method)
Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,120 Views)