PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to develop with notebook + PXI with controller?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am new to PXI, I have a general question:

I have a notebook with LabVIEW 2017 Professional and windows 10.

Then I have a PXI-1078 Chassis with PXIe-8820 Controller and a few PXI cards .

I turned on the PXI Chassis, connected with its own usb mouse, keyboard and Display port to a monitor.

I noticed that it boots into a normal Windows 7 32bit OS. 

It has no LabVIEW development installed, but only NI runtimes (VISA, etc...).

The goal of this PXI is to test electronic boards with a bed of nails. 

At the end the final system will be a ATE (Automatic Test Equipment) that will be shipped to a contractor that will use it to test thousands of electronic boards.

So my questions are:

1. with my setup, do I need to purchase a licence of LabVIEW for this PXI windows 7 OS? Or can I use my notebook and then just "deploy" (via USB drive or ethernet) to the PXI?
  2. My notebook has no access to the PXI cards , I have no MXI connector.... is it basically mandatory with my setup or not?
  3. I wouldn't like to develop on the PXI because at the end I will ship it away, and I can't buy licences for every PXI I ship. Also I want to keep separate my development machine (with documentation files, etc...) from the production machine (PXI) , for many reason (NDA, sensible informations, etc... )

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,145 Views)

Hi,

the PXIe controller is a full-fledged computer. You can develop an application on your notebook, and then use the Application Builder (included in LabVIEW Professional, or available as an optional add-on in LabVIEW Base and Full) to build an executable to be deployed to the controller. This tutorial can serve as a starting point. You may need to activate a LabVIEW license on the PXI only if you wish to develop directly on the controller.

I hope I have been helpful, otherwise I remain available.

Regards,

Alessia

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,100 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Konan__

Thanks for the reply

I can't develop an application on my notebook without access to PXI peripherals.

I've found the solution here: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/53757/en/

Message 3 of 4
(2,096 Views)

Hi,

thank you for sharing your solution with the community.

Best regards,

Alessia

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,064 Views)