PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control PXI-1071 chassis with PC without a Remote Control Module?

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear All, 

Is there a way to communicate with a PXi-1071 chassis with a computer but not having any ''conventional'' remote module? 

Unfortunately, an error happened in the order, so I received only a NI PXIe-1071 4-Slot 3U PXI Express Chassis, PXIe-5172 PXI Oscilloscope, NI PCIe-8361, 1 Port MXI-Express Interface and MXI-Express Cable, Gen 1 x1, Copper, 3m. 

So I have got everything, except the connector on the chassis.  It is quite bad luck, and for ordering a remote module I have to wait about 6 weeks, but I need an urgent solution.

If you have a solution in your mind, please let me know. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,152 Views)
Solution
Accepted by THz_Tim

The one and only possible way to control the PXI chassis without a remote control module is to buy a PXIe controller such as PXIe-8880 or anything that fits your computational needs and budget.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,134 Views)

Hi santo_13,

Thanks for the quick reply.  If understand correctly, I need to buy an extra device to ensure communication with a computer. 

Do you think that the PXIe-8360 module would do this job?

Is it compatible with the PXie-1071 chassis, such that the third slot is already occupied by a PXIe-5172 PXI Oscilloscope?

I have the MXI-Express interface on the computer and also the MXI Express cable.

Thanks in advance,

Bence

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,116 Views)

A PXIe or PXI chassis is an extension of the PC's PCI or PCIe bus. This means that the PC is the brain of the operation and this chassis is just an extension.

The PXIe or PXI chassis being an extension cannot function on its own as it has no brain. There are multiple forms of extension - use an embedded controller (full-fledged PC that plugs into the chassis, like inserting the brain directly into the chassis) or MXI or Thunderbolt 3.

The PC has to be present at slot 1 - this is why you can insert the embedded controller or the MXI control card only at slot 1 and nowhere else.

If you don't want to spend on an embedded controller, the only other alternative is to use a remote control module - either MXI based or Thunderbolt 3.

Correction, it is PXI-8360 and not PXIe, this is NOT compatible with a PXIe chassis.

These are the compatible modules I see with PXIe-1071 listed in the PXI advisor

santo_13_0-1634304658488.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,101 Views)