From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect to a PXI-1042 from Lap Top

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a 1042 chassis that I want to use for calibrations. I have a Laptop with N.I. Measurement & Automation Explorer, Cal Executive and a GPIB-USB-B interface.

The Chassis has a PXI-GPIB card in slot 3.

The N.I. explorer does not recognize the chassis, what am I missing in order to calibrate PXI-DMM cards?

Please advice.

Thank you.

P.S.

I have downloaded and installed the recommended drivers for the DMM's I am planning to calibrate.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,812 Views)

Not every slot in the chasis has access to the pins that control the chasis. For this reason, all PXI chasis must be controlled by a controller card.  For laptops, an express card will be necessary (not the same as PXIe).  The part you need can be found here. 

Kyle K.

Product Manager for Product Data
National Instruments
Message 2 of 5
(3,791 Views)

Fair Enough,

will this Express Card allow me to collect data for PXI-4070 and older, plus 4071 and newer?

Is there a card that would allow me to use my GPIB-USB-B interface cable?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,788 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JSOTO

The card model limitations will depend on the drivers that you are using, not the cable. You will be able to collect data so as long as you have the correct drivers for your PXI cards that are compatable with your Operating System. Our controllers only use MXI cables, so the GPIB-USB cable will not work with them.

Things to remember:
The MXI cable must match the PXI card in the computer and the MXI (controller) card in the Chasis
The Drivers installed on the computer must be compatable with the cards in the chasis
The Cards must match the type of slot in the chasis
The Serial GPIB card can be used to communicate with serial devices (send commands and recieve data)
The GPIB-USB cable allows the GPIB card to communicate with devices that have a USB port. (again, only send commands and receive data)

Product Manager for Product Data
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(3,771 Views)

Wicked, you have been most helpful, thank you!

J.S.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,760 Views)