PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect a Compact RIO to a PXI System

Hello,

I want to connect my cRIO-9074 with my PXI System.

First of all my Hardware configuration:

1. "PXI-1036" Chassis with "PXI-8101" Embedded Controller and "PXI-8231" Ethernet

2. "cRIO 9074" Integrated 400 MHz Realt-Time Controller

3. "NI 9144" EtherCAT slave chassis

The PXI System is connected with my Network through the Ethernet-Port on the "PXI-8101" Controller. The "NI 9144" is connected with the "cRIO 9074" through their EtherCAT Ports. That works without a problem.

Now I want to connect my "cRIO-9074" with my PXI-System through the Ethernet Port on the "PXI-8321", but I can't find a way to get this work.

In MAX I configured the second Ethernet Port on the PXI as "TCP/IP" with a IP and Subnet. Then I connected the cRIO and turned it on.

But I can't find the cRIO anywhere in MAX or in a LabView Realtime Project.

When I configure the "PXI-8321" as a EtherCAT Port, I can connect my "NI 9144" with it and use it in a LabView Project. But configured as Ethernet and connected with the "cRIO 9074" it doesn't works.

Is there any way to get this working? Or is this not possible with my Hardware?

I know I could connect the cRIO and PXI through a Switch with my Network and then use both in a LabView Real-Time Project. But I want to build a mobile Measurement-Station with as few devices as possible. If there is no other way I will use a Switch, but without would be better.

Thankful

Daniel Löffler

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,325 Views)

Hi Daniel,

it is not possible to connect cRIO-9074 Controller with the PXI System through the Ethernet-Port, because the RT cRIO Controller can not behave as a slave. cRIO Controller is always configured as a master, never as slave. The extension Chassis 9144 is configured as a slave, so you can use it with your cRIO Ctrl or with PXI Ctrl as well. Connection PXI-Ctrl, cRIO-Ctrl, NI 9144 is not possible.

Best regards,

ENIA

NI Germany

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,279 Views)

Hi Daniel,

You mentioned that you were able to configure the PXI-8231 as an EtherCAT Port. Can you provide the basic steps in the configuration?

Regards,

Audrey

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,363 Views)