From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we control the shaker via amplifier?

We found APS 113 Shaker, APS 125 Power Amplifier, and a 20+year-old function generator in our lab.  We were able to connect them and used the shaker for some experiments.  We would like to control the shaker so that it can simulate recorded seismic ground motion.  What hardware and software do we need?  We are clueless. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,298 Views)

Hi seismic1994:

So in the current setup, you are able to use the function generator to control the shaker?

I have seen that third-party function generators can be controlled in LabVIEW to output custom made signals. This is way easier if there is a driver for that instrument in the Instrument Driver Network. You can browse with the function generator's name to check if there is a driver there. 

I can also think that another option would be to use a National Instruments Hardware (an analog output device) to generate a custom signal (again in LabVIEW!) and output this to the shaker, but I guess this depends on the options to connect a signal to the shaker. 

You could also give NI a call, they could recommend hardware and software for your application. 

Hope this helps, 

Carlos. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,267 Views)

Hello Carlos,

I recently found a Tektronix TDS 210 in our lab.  Thanks to your information I found the driver.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks again!

K. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,249 Views)