From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i reestablish communication with PXI instruments after cycling power to the PXI chassis?

Is there a way of reestablishing communication with PXI instruments after cycling power to the PXI chassis WITHOUT rebooting the PC? Note that I do not have to add any new cards to the PXI chassis. I simply have to restore communication with what was already installed.

Thanks!

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,189 Views)

Hi JeffCo,

Unfortunately, the connection is exstablished on bootup with an extension of the PCI bridge, so you need to go through bootup to get it to function properly.

TimC
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,176 Views)

Power cycling the PXI chassis is like pulling out a PCI card and plugging it back in.  A computer will not see a new PCI card while it is running, only during the boot cycle are PCI cards discovered.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,169 Views)

Actually "Hot swaping" PCI busses and cards has been part of the PCI standard for several years.   IF the vendor is SPECIFICATION COMPLIANT ( i.e.. at least PCI 2.2 R2) then the Hot swap will work. The bios WILL correctly enumerate bus items IF the card vendor supports the proper HS signals. After POST it's the  OS's job to intercept hot plug events just like USB, SCSI , SAS and SATA do.

Of course, finding a vendor that is PCI2.2r2 compliant is like finding a Standford Research IEEE 488.2 compliant device. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 4
(5,160 Views)