PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I write a C program to acquire data from a PXI system?

There are many fancy software packages.  I am not looking for them.  I am simply trying to find the library and documentation so that I can write a C program to acquire data from a PXI system.  Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,210 Views)

Hi Read,

what do you mean? Which additional hardware do you use and which OS is running on your PXI-Controller?

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,203 Views)

Hi Read,

What kind of hardware are you using with your PXI system?

Depending on what hardware you are using, the documentation and example programs you are looking for will be available to you once you install the driver software. For example. If you are programming hardware which uses DAQmx, you will first have to install the DAQmx drivers and then you should be able to find the corresponding NI-DAQmx C Reference Help under Start Menu » All Programs » National Instruments » NI-DAQ. On the other hand, for most of our modular instruments, you will the C reference help in the driver help document. For example, if you are using one of our function generators (which uses the NI-FGEN drivers), you will find all documentation under a single hlep file "NI Signal Generators Help," which you can access in Start Menu » All Programs » National Instruments » NI-FGEN » Documentation. Regardless of which modular instrument you are using, the help files are structured similarly and so in the case of the NI-FGEN drivers, the C documentation will be in the help file under Programming » NI-FGEN Help » NI-FGEN C Function Reference.

Also be sure to check out some of our shipping examples as they are usually a great place to start and get your application going. For DAQmx, the examples are accessed under Start Menu » All Programs » National Instruments » NI-DAQ » Text-based Code » Ansi C Examples, whereas for our modular instruments they will be under their respective driver folder. (i.e. for NI-FGEN, Start Menu » All Programs » National Instruments » NI-FGEN » Examples » C).

I hope this helps.

S_Hong
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 3 of 4
(3,199 Views)

Hi S_Hong,

The person who installed the NI sotware on the system that I'm using hadn't installed everything.  I re-installed the software and followed your instructions and I'm up and running.

Thanks

Read

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,185 Views)