From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop a NI PXI 8186 controller seeing RS232 inputs as a mouse at boot

We have a PXI 8186 controller using XP Pro that has a number of RS232 inputs.  When XP is booting, it sees any RS232 inputs as a mouse, moving the pointer randomly around and preventing the system from working correctly.  We have tried using /fastdetect in boot.ini to stop it looking for a mouse on the RS232 inputs but we still have the problem.  Once we get the XP password screen, we can switch on the RS232 devices. 

We are using the PS/2 input with the supplied keyboard / mouse splitter.  We are also using the two RS232 inputs on the controller and an additional 4 RS232 inputs on a NI PXI 8430/4 card.  Has this been experienced before, and if so, is there a fix?

Many thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,611 Views)

Hello Jim,

This seems like a driver issue. We have not seen anything similar with PXI controllers.

Can you check and possibly reinstall your RS232 devices' drivers? What sort of devices are they?

I hope to be able to help more with this information. 

Kind Regards,

Michael S.
Applications Engineer
NI UK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,593 Views)

Hello Jim,

Have you had any progress with this issue? Or is everything working fine now?

Please do let me know if I can help in any way,

Kind Regards,

Michael S.
Applications Engineer
NI UK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,552 Views)

Hi Michael, 

I will try reinstalling the drivers if I can work out how, but it won't be for another couple of weeks.  So it's still ongoing, and I'll let you know.  The problem is I didn't do the original installation so I need to work out how to do it from scratch from the piles of documentation I have.

Many thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,525 Views)

I've updated the drivers and it may have fixed this problem. 

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,326 Views)

Hello Jim,

Thanks very much for getting back to the rest of our users with feedback on the suggestion.

Thanks for using the forums as well!

Best of luck with the rest of your application,

Kind Regards,

Michael S.
Applications Engineer
NI UK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,320 Views)