PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I control individual pins of VHDCI connector on PXIe-6548?

Solved!
Go to solution

I already have a DWE. I also tried to import a VCD file and then convert it to HWS and use it in the VIs.

Now, when I want to read something, in a VCD file I can write the expected value as LHLH format. Is it possible with DWE? How does the read operation work with DWE? Read operation is like 'output' from DWE. I can manipulate the edges and create what needs to be fed in to the DWE i.e. WRITE operation. How to do it for Read?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 35
(1,488 Views)
Also, the help topic says I can change the signal from ' drive data to compare data' and vice-versa. Also it says I can make it bidirectional. But when I created a waveform in the editor, it give me only two options for a signal. Either I can drive data or compare data. But not both. Do I need to upgrade DWE? where can I do it?
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 35
(1,486 Views)

I am trying to write into the register of DUT using DWE. I stored the waveform in .hws format on on-board memory using Write named waveform.vi. then I called the initiate.vi to write into the DUT. To be sure that I was able to write into DUT, I used a tried and tested I2C communication to read the written value. I find that nothing was actually written into the DUT.

I followed the steps of dynamic generation.

1. Init.vi

2. Assign dynamic channels

3. configure clock

4. write named waveform from file.vi

5. export 'on board clock' to 'DDC CLOCK OUT'

6. initiate.vi

7. close.vi

what am I missing? I am still not able to understand how should I program in labview to talk to the DUT.

for actually communicating with the DUT, is it neccesary to export the on-board clock to DDC_CLOCK_OUT terminal of the connector?

Also, is it necessary to configure initial state and use a start trigger to write to the DUT? Or is is sufficient to use only initiate.vi to write the waveform stored on board memory to the DUT?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 35
(1,453 Views)

I am trying to write into the register of DUT using DWE. I stored the waveform in .hws format on on-board memory using Write named waveform.vi. then I called the initiate.vi to write into the DUT. To be sure that I was able to write into DUT, I used a tried and tested I2C communication to read the written value. I find that nothing was actually written into the DUT.

I followed the steps of dynamic generation.

1. Init.vi

2. Assign dynamic channels

3. configure clock

4. write named waveform from file.vi

5. export 'on board clock' to 'DDC CLOCK OUT'

6. initiate.vi

7. close.vi

what am I missing? I am still not able to understand how should I program in labview to talk to the DUT.

for actually communicating with the DUT, is it neccesary to export the on-board clock to DDC_CLOCK_OUT terminal of the connector?

Also, is it necessary to configure initial state and use a start trigger to write to the DUT? Or is is sufficient to use only initiate.vi to write the waveform stored on board memory to the DUT?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 35
(1,449 Views)

Hi viaheaven,

The Example FInder in LabVIEW gives a good starting place for writing to DUT using HSDIO cards like the PXIe-6548. I would suggest taking a look at the Read HWS File and Generate.VI. You can find this by click on Help->Find Examples->Hardware Input and Output->Modular Instruments->NI-HSDIO->Dynamic Generation->Non-Scripted. This should give you a good starting place. To answer your question, you do not explicitly need to export the DDC_clock_out in order to write to your DUT. If you look within the Help of the Write Named Waveform VI, you will see that it automatically inserts the waveform onto your onboard memory. Therefore you only need an Initiate VI after it.

Best regards,
Rohan B
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 35
(1,426 Views)

Hi Rohan,

Thanks for your reply.

I wish to perform a read operation on the DUT. I was trying to find a vi that will let me input a HWS file similar to Generation. But I found out that 6548 does not support stimulus response feature. So, what is the possible way of reading back from the device?

Please tell me if I am thinking wrong. I think following should be the way to go.

1. Assign channels that are mapped to the address lines of the DUT as static. Generate a continuous static pattern on the address lines.

2. Assign the channels that are mapped to the Data pins of the DUT as dynamic.

3. Configure the sampling clock, clock freq. etc.

4. Configure acquisition size

5. define the data position. I think this is necessary for RTD.

6. Tristate data channels so that the DUT will drive them

7. Read Waveform.vi

Looking forward to hear back!

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 35
(1,419 Views)

Hi, Viaheaven.

The PXIe-6548 does support stimulus/response hardware compare mode.  Are you getting an error trying to use it?  If so, can you please share what the error is and your VI?

Thanks,

Keith Shapiro

National Instruments R&D

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 35
(1,410 Views)

Hi Keith,

I imported a VCD file into DWE, and tried to 'PLAY' it. It opened 'stimulus response' window. I assigned proper channels to the different signals in the waveform. When I tried to run the stimulus response.vi it gives 'Device not found' error. I think the stimulus response feature is available with only 655x and not 654x.

Please pardon me if I am missing something.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 35
(1,407 Views)

When you click "play" in DWE, it fires up LabVIEW Signal Express.  Is your waveform being loaded into Signal Express?  If so, you should see in the center window a preview of your data and several tabs to configure the playback.  Is your 6548 device listed under "Device" in the "Configuration" tab?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 35
(1,396 Views)

No. 6548 shows up in niHSDIO generation , acquisition separately in LabView Signal Express. But it does not appear in stimulus response.vi

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 35
(1,387 Views)