From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Timing using 6683- Antenna Status Error

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using 6683 card for time synchronization with GPS. Even though I have connected GPS antenna to 6683 card, each time I use test panel in NI-MAX for getting time from GPS, it says that GPS antenna is not connected. and also LED in front of card becomes RED.

I have checked all cable in antenna section and I'm sure there is no problem in wiring.

Untitled.png

Have any one had this kind of problem? 
what's the solution?

my system is consist of this hardware:

1. PXIe-1062Q PXI Chassis
  2. PXIe-8135 main computer
  3. 6683 timing Card
  4. GPS Antenna with 30m Coaxial Cable (196304-30 part number)

(All from NI)

and also these drivers are installed:

1. Ni-sync 18.6 (I have tried 4 version of  this driver, No one didn't help)
  2. Ni-Timesync 18.1.1

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,472 Views)

Hi,

according to the following document, it is possible that the antenna is not drawing enough current to be detected. In this case the Time Reference Present property should be True (on the Time Reference tab) and you can still receive valid GPS data.

Why Do I Receive a GPS Status of Antenna Error from My NI PXI-6682(H) or PXI-6683(H)?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/062467A3F1FC656E86257E810074507B?OpenDocument

Best Regards,

ulaci

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,433 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author M.Javad

Hi

Thanks for your recommendation
as I'm using standard active GPS antenna that manufactured by NI, I expect that antenna consume enough current that 6683 card can detects it.

I checked the output voltage of antenna and knew that there is no voltage! As you know, it's necessary to have 5V in 6683 antenna port otherwise active antenna doesn't work.

So, I decided to use a 20 CM wire as a passive antenna, It works well!

I concluded that there is a problem with my 6683 card (not the whole card, only the 5V power supply of active antenna)this piece of brown wire is acting as a passive antenna

even though the card does not detect any antenna, the GPS is locked and give me the time and positioneven though the card does not detect any antenna, the GPS is locked and give me the time and position

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,381 Views)