PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Function control of the PXI system

Hi All!

We order  NI PXI-1036DC + PXI-4462 + PXI-6682 GPS + PXI-6653 + PXI-8101.

Is it possible to control:

1. DC voltage and current?

2. GPS coordinates of the system?

3. Accuracy (or quality) of the 10 MHz clock disciplining by the 6682 GPS? It may be accuracy of the GPS positioning or number of satellites.

4. Temperature? It may be processor temperature.

Jury

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,341 Views)

Hello Jury,

Thank you for bringing this issue to the forums.

Regarding your questions:

1. What do you want to control the DC voltage and current of? Which card exactly?

2. I am not exactly sure what you mean by controlling the GPS coordinates of the system. Can you please explain further? 

3. You can find the specifications of 10 MHz clock and accuracy of the GPS on page A-5 and A-6 of the PXI-6682 GPS Manual: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372292b.pdf

The 10 MHz clock accuracy is +/- 1 ppm, you cannot change this value. The accuracy of the GPS is within 15 ns, you cannot change this value as well. Once again all this information can be found on page A-5 and A-6 of the PXI-6682 GPS Manual. 

About the number of satellites, the more satellites available to the receiver, the more precisely it can determine time and location. Therefore, the location of the antenna should be such that it will receive signals from the greatest number of satellites possible.

4. The +/- 1 ppm accuracy of PXI-6682 is specified in the range of 0 to 55 C.

Thank you,

Vimal Fernandez

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,329 Views)

Hi!

We planed to use 24V lead-acid accumulator as a power supply. So, it is very useful to know the input voltage.

For long-time monitoring, it is important to know the state of the system (input voltage, temperature) if unexpected result is occur.

The GPS time accuracy, as well as positioning precision, depends on number of satellites and quality of the signal. Signal may depends on weather, big trees or buildings near antenna. I.e., the time accuracy may be much more greater than 100 ns in bad condition. So, I want to know the state of the GPS receiver.

Jury

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,326 Views)

Hi,

Are you using the 24V lead-acid accumulator as a power supply for the PXI-1036DC chassis? If so, you might want to take a look at the Manual for that device: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371550e.pdf .

The DC input range seen on page A-5 shows an 18-30 VDC and input current rating 20-10A.

Thank you,

Vimal Fernandez

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,322 Views)

I believe the NI-Sync driver and API that is responsible for the 6682 has attributes that you can query to determine what the current offset is as well as report on the GPS Status (will let you know if it is having issues) and the number of available satellites (indicator that you are about to start having issues).  I would install NI-Sync and take a look at the help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,321 Views)