PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster connection than 10Gbe Ethernet?

I'm currently gathering between 8 to 10 TB of data a day and I'm saving the data to a small RAID device via 10Gbe ethernet.

It needs to be saved to external RAID because it will be shipped daily.

I'd like to improve this by adding a thunderbolt 3 connection which will allow 40Gbps transfer.

I don't see an option available for this? Is there plans to provide thunderbolt 3?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,667 Views)

Hi Ig101,

I know that there are devices available on the market that support the Thunderbolt 3 Connection.

Unfortunately this is not something available from NI and unable to comment for certain whether this is a future plan.

Kind Regards,

Matthew Fergusson

AE UK

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,641 Views)

If you happen to be using a MXIe controller, then you could add a card to the controlling PC.

Alternately, you could also use a x8 MXI interlink to connect the system (embedded or remote controller)  to a sister computer. The sister computer would either house the RAID or at least a fast hard drive to buffer and fast transfer available from vendor of your choice.

Look at Model: PXIe-8383MC  This is an expensive option and requires PXIe. Cable length would be limited to 5m for copper or more $$ for fiber. The data throughput should be at least as high as 200 MB/s per channel with 8 channels (assumes transfer as limiting factor.)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,611 Views)

@blakney wrote:

Look at Model: PXIe-8383MC  This is an expensive option and requires PXIe. Cable length would be limited to 5m for copper or more $$ for fiber. The data throughput should be at least as high as 200 MB/s per channel with 8 channels (assumes transfer as limiting factor.)

Yes, its external connector is PCIe 2.0 x8. Keep in mind that this link has a throughput of about 4GB/s. Which is only about 3x of what a 10 GBit Ethernet link can do.

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,599 Views)

Yes, that ~3 fold difference in bandwidth spec is technically correct in a world where the expected  overhead and latency of the two technologies were equal....

I was simply bringing up a current working solution that may not have been obvious given the intricacies of the NI Website.

Message 5 of 5
(2,569 Views)