PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External card reader

I have a NI ExpressCard-8360 for an older piece of equipment. Unfortunately we no longer have the laptop that used to be associated with this instrument. We also don't have a new laptop that has the appropriate card reader. Are there external card readers that we can purchase that could be used with a laptop?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,105 Views)

LizJ,

The only adapters that will work with the ExpressCard-8360 are Thunderbolt adapters, like the Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro.  The Sonnet adapter is based on the previous generation of Thunderbolt which wasn't as common, but it's compatible with the current generation with an adapter cable.

You didn't say what's at the other end of the cable.  If it's the PXIe-8360, and you get a laptop with Thunderbolt, you may consider updating the PXIe-8360 to the PXIe-8301.  The PXIe-8301 connects via Thunderbolt directly and would connect directly to your laptop.

In summary, 2 paths, both require Thunderbolt in your laptop:

- Sonnet Excho ExpressCard Pro + Thunderbolt gen 2 to gen 3 adapter cable

- PXIe-8301

I hope that helps.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,086 Views)

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking into the Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro now. Currently we have a laptop that doesn't have a card reader, which is why we were looking for an external card reader solution.

Someone also suggested this, https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-USB-to-ExpressCard-JU-EP0012-S1/dp/B001KUOW9O. Do you think that would work also?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,083 Views)

LizJ,

An adapter that plugs into USB absolutely won't work.

Technical explanation: ExpressCard slots provide 2 interfaces that cards can use -- USB and PCI Express.  ExpressCard-8360 uses PCI Express, and USB-based adapters can only provide USB.  It may power up the card but the card won't be able to communicate to your laptop.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,081 Views)

Thank you Robert. This is very helpful!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,070 Views)