PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -88705 Device not found, not present, PXI DaqMX

The chassis is a NI-PXI1045.  I've used an 8-slot PXI chassis on this computer, with Labview 8.0 before but not this 18-slot chassis and this set of cards.  I'm unable to use most of my PXI cards, 5922, 6052E, 6115, 4071, etc.  In MAX, NI-DAQmx Devices, performing the Self Test yields an error message "Error -88705 occurred at Self Test. ...The specified device is not present or not active in the system." 

However, still in MAX, Traditional NI-DAQ, test panel of the 6052E returns a reasonable signal.  I.e. there's something amiss with DaqMX software.

Drivers DaqMX 8.5.0f5, NI-Scope 3.3.0f0, NI-DMM 2.5.0. 

Removed LabView 6 and 7 using Add/Remove Programs.  Also using Add/Remove Programs "Repaired" all NI software except MXI-3 (v1.15).

None changed the behavior, multiple reboots.

Windows 2000 Event Viewer shows 4 or 5 interesting Errors on each boot.
 - Application Log: Userenv, Event ID: 1000 "Windows cannot upload your resistry file. ... Access denied."
 - Application Log: NI Variable Engine: "...Unable to load the configuration subsystem: Failed to get MAX configuration interface."
 - Application Log: nipalu, Event ID 12288: "...Could not connect to MXS. MAX configuration files may be corrupt!
 - System Log: Service Control Manager, Event ID 7026: "The following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load: adpu160m, aic78u2, aic78xx, Symmpi."
 - System Log: Service Control Manager, Event ID 7031: "The NI Device Loader service terminated unexpectedly. ..."

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(9,141 Views)
Hi Raj,

Thank you for posting to the National Instruments Discussion Forums.

I would try renaming the MAX data directory as shown in the following directions:
  1. First make sure that the operating user's account is added to the Administrator group. (Computer Management / Local Users and Groups / Groups / Administrator)
  2. Exit MAX and close all National Instruments programs.
  3. End the process nimxs.exe from Task ManagerCut. Then rename Data folder from C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MAX\ directory.
    NOTE:
    If you have MAX version 4.2 the location of Data folder has changed
    For Windows XP and 2000:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\MAX\Data
    For Windows Vista:
    C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Data
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Start MAX and attempt a Self-Test. If the error is resolved, you can delete the Data directory that was cut-and-pasted to the desktop.

If this does not work I would download a fresh copy of the NI-DAQmx driver, uninstall everything and install only that.

Abhinav T.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments India

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours
Getting Started with NI-DAQmx
Measurement Fundamentals
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(9,114 Views)
Hello All!

I acquired a NI US-6211 about a month ago, installed with DAQ-MX 8.5. Since first install, twice my device stopped being recognised (also faild selt test with -88705), with errpr event in Windows event log: "

"The NI Device Loader service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action. "

The fix posted by Abhinav doesn't seem to work, as the device no longer even appears on MAX. It seems like reinstalling MAX fixes this problem - but it's still annoying as hell.

Anybody know what's going on? Is it a problem in the new MAX version??

Thanks dearly,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(9,005 Views)
Hi Michael,

This error message is returned because the "NI Device Loader" Windows service is not running. To start it properly go to Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services and select the NI Device Loader Service. Right click on it select "properties" and then set the startup type as "Automatic" and click the start button.

Hope this helps!

Abhinav T.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments India

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours
Getting Started with NI-DAQmx
Measurement Fundamentals
Message 4 of 4
(8,972 Views)