From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -1074116136 when changing external sampling CLK

I am running a PXI 5105 with an external sampling CLK supplied to the PFI1 by a PXIe 6556. As long as I start up with a fixed frequency, things will run fine. But as soon as I change the 6556's CLK frequency on the fly, I will run into the following error as soon as the next "niScope Multi Fetch Cluster" is executed:

Error -1074116136 occurred at niScope Multi Fetch Cluster.vi:1

Possible reason(s):
Hardware clocking error occurred.

If you are using an external reference or sample clock, make sure it is connected and within the jitter and voltage level specifications at all times. Also, verify that its rate matches the specified clock rate. If you are generating your clock internally, please contact National Instruments Technical Support.

Status Code: -200551

Is there anything I can do to re-sync the 5105 to the new external CLK frequency?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Georg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,980 Views)

Hey Georg,

have you checked your card and run a self-test in MAX? Often this error occurs, when there is some kind of hardware damage.

To which frequency you want to re-sync your PXI 5105?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,930 Views)

Hey Georg,

in case you haven't fixed the problem yet, I figured out a way to change the frequency without altering the initial frequency. I assume you are using LabView to configure your system. I guess you are using a fixed pattern like "10101010" that your Computer writes into the buffer of the card in order to implement CLK action.

Problem is, that your Card will always go through this pattern with the fixed frequency that you've used to initialize the "read" vi with. From my point of view its not possible to re-set this frequency to another value.

But what you can do - in order to solve the problem - change the pattern that you use for the clock. For example:

Let's say right now you use an U8 Integer to implement your clock pattern: What you want is "10101010" = 128+32+8+2=170

so you start the task writing "170" on the data input of your "write vi".

Now you wanna change the frequency -> so just change the pattern to e.g. 10001000=128+8=136

Since you know that your card will sent a CLK impuls for every "1" that is found, you now have a CLK signal that is much slower than the before signal.

I hope this can help in order to work around your problem

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,927 Views)

Hello Salomon,

my PXI 5105 HW is brand new and works fine at each and any frequency I programm before the start of my VI. The problems only occure once I change the frequency within the running VI. I therefore assume that my hardware is intact.

The workaround you describe (changing the CLK digital data pattern) is insufficient in my case as I need to continously tune the CLK frequency.

I've also tried to reset the 5105 during the vi run to provoke a re-sync to the new frequency but haven't had any success with that method yet.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Georg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,904 Views)