PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR -201284 ON PXI-4110 in PXI-1002 with PXI-8176

I have a PXI-4110 installed in slot 4 (circle type slot) of a PXI-1002 chassis with PXI-8176 controller. Running Win XP SP3, upgraded memory to 512 MB, and new HD (250GB, I believe). 

It recognizes the PXI-4110 as being present, but won't allow any functionality (RESET, SELF-CAL, etc.). The buttons are all active, but get an ERROR -201284 saying insufficient 3.3VDC on the backplane. Check the fuse.  The fuse is good.

I also have an external DC supply connected, and get a green light on the incoming AUX power light on the module.

My suspicion is that either perhaps this card can not run on this chassis, or it is a bad card.  The chassis is properly identified in MAX.  There is also a PXI-5421 in the chassis that is recognized and operational.

I was even able to install NI drivers (the automatic install during boot up).  In MAX, the PXI-4110 shows up twice.  It shows up once as installed in the PXI-1002 chassis, but only the OPEN VISA TEST PANEL button is available.  It then shows up again with a red X not in the chassis.  The one that is NOT in the chassis has all of the available buttons, but they don't work.

It's almost as if there may be a configuration problem.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,234 Views)

Do you have another chassis you can test this card on?  Have you tried cycling the 4110 through different slots of the chassis?

Please try taking out all the modules except for the controller and cycle the 4110 in other slots and see if the card gets recognized.

If at all possible I would highly suggest you try the 4110 in a different chassis.

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,212 Views)

That is in line with one of my theories.  The fact that the chassis recognizes the card (I can pull it's serial number from NIMAX description).  And the error is 3.3V is bad, makes me think that perhaps that really is the problem.  We have a couple of other chassis's.  The chassis, as I mentioned, is a PXI-1002, with a PXI-8176 controller imbedded.  I have tried it in a couple of different slots with no change in symptom.

To redundantly elaborate... It is recognized in any slot I've tried it in.  I have reset NIMAX configuration to clear everything.  Where ever I insert it (tried slot 4 and 2 (I think - not at work now) NIMAX recognizes it, and I see the ADD NEW HARDWARE auto setup sequence.  And as stated above, I see it's serial number.  It's like it can't get the "horsepower" to properly run any of its buttons (RESET, SELF CAL, SOFT PANEL).  The buttons push, and I get the -201284 error, 3.3V is insufficient.  It does sound suspiciously like a possble low 3.3V.  Does the 3.3V have an adjustment and/or spec that I could test and adjust?  And if so, is it possible that an out of spec 3.3V may cause this?  I guess I don't understand under which card applications the 3.3V is important.  Is it particular to things like a DC Power Supply card, where it would not be an issue in other cards.  We have been using this chassis to test a variety of cards (6551, 6552, 5421, 6229, and some others).  It just doesn't run the 4110. The fuse on the front, and all of the fuses on the circuit board of the 4110 are good.  I even connected the external power supply and it makes the external supply green led light up. And I can only open the soft panel from Windows start menu.  When I open it there, it says that no device found.

Thanks for that idea about another chassis.  I will try it Monday when back at the lab.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,202 Views)

There might be an issue on the 3.3V rail line of the chassis.  But I don't think we'll know for sure until you try out the 4110 on another chassis.  And yes, an out of spec 3.3V can cause this specific issue.  Let me know how the test on the other chassis works out for you.

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,181 Views)

I moved the PXI-4110 over to a PXI-1031 chassis, along with the PXI-8176 controller.  Same error.  When I set up MAX, in Devices etc., it shows the PXI-1031 (correctly identified) with the PXI-8176 correctly identified.  Then also showing as in the chassis is the PXI-4110, but it shows up twice.

The first iteration is an icon with a red X, and with all of the normal buttons (RESET, SELF CAL, etc.).  In the second iteration, it shows up with only the VISA test.  

I have VISA and VISA RUNTIME version 15.5.0 and VISA .NET Runtime 15.0.0 (not sure if those are important).  And NI DC POWER version 15.2.

I am trying now to do a repair on NI software installations to see if there is an issue.

Is it possible that a problem with VISA relative to NI DC POWER could cause the issue?  Or either of them installed on the PXI-8176 (which is an older CPU) could be a problem?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,176 Views)

There shouldn't be any issues with VISA and DCPower drivers.  What OS are you using?  How did the repair go?  Did you do a repair on the DCPower?  What version of the PXI Platform Services and NI MAX do you have?  

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,154 Views)

So many details in this one.  I did have PXI Platform Services ("PPS") v 15.3 or so.  But yesterday, I saw where 3.2.1 was the latest reve that supported PXI-1002.  So I uninstalled the later version of PPS and replaced with v 3.2.0.  It didn't fix anything.  I repaired, then removed and reinstalled DC POWER (as the repair didn't fix it).

Going back to the older version of DC POWER seems worse.  I may uninstall and reinstall it.  I have 15.3 NI MAX.  I am almost tempted to uninstall and reinstall everything (a day or more worth of work).

It is about looking like the PXI-4110 may be bad.  That doesn't quite make sense. 

I also just noticed that with my present versions, the two iterations are gone.  I now only have showing one PXI-4110 in the chassis.  And it is the one with the OPEN VISA TEST PANEL, and not the full set of buttons.  This, as I replaced DC POWER with an old rev (to see if that would be a problem).  With the old rev, I now have DC POWER 1.9 installed.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,151 Views)

What OS are you using?  Also, please try to refrain from uninstalling but instead do a force reinstall.  When you uninstall it does not uninstall everything and your registry may not be fully 'emptied' out.  So in the future please try to do more of a force reinstall:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ADD22E807D5A12AD862579EC00760F79

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,133 Views)

I am using Win XP SP3 on PXI-8176 controller in PXI-1002 chassis. Since your last posting, I have been working my way through the various major NI SW, and doing force reinstalls one by one to see what impact they may have.

I have pretty much given up on the DC Power Supply PXI-4110, and amd thinking it is a bad card.  Is it feasible for a bad PXI-4110 to think the 3.3V supply voltages are incorrect?  I have numberous other cards that all work fine.  I just don't know if there is something specific to the PXI-4110 that is more critical with that chassis voltage.

Also, I am having problems with getting test panels to work properly for a PXI-6229 that I am also trying to work with.  I was hoping these various forced reinstalls might help with that, but apparently to no avail.

I have a PXI-6229 in this same chassis that will successfully RESET, SELF-TEST and SELF-CAL (all show green check mark with pass at the end).   The card appears to be working.  But when I open a Test Panel, the screen opens up, with the various tabs at the top.  and I can click on any of the tabs.  But down in the middle of the test panel, it is blank. Then, when I X out of the test panel, I get an error stating that the stand-alone test panel has encountered an error and has to close.  The associated file that shows up in that box, besides nidmfpan.exe, is LVBROKER.DLL.  And of course in the technical details, all of the other stuff.  Also, in that module, when I attempt to open the CONFIGURE button, I get a blank display similar to the one for the TEST PANEL.

Interesting (possibly relevant) detail is that the vertical length of both the CONFIGURE box and TEST PANEL box extends off bottom screen.  Like whatever is telling them one their vertical size is, is incorrect (maybe a corrupt detail somewhere).  

So I will still be interested in whatever ideas you may have for the DC Power Supply (I am running a forced reinstall of NI-DCPOWER 15.2 - is this too new a rev for my platform?).

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,126 Views)

It doesn't look like there's a compatibility issue with NI-DCPower 15.2 with your Windows XP SP3.  I would suggest you contact support at ni.com/support and create a service request and try to troubleshoot over the phone so we can try to get to the root cause of the problem in a timely manner.  

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,108 Views)