PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Display Problem with PXI 8108 (driver or hardware issue)

I have a very strange problem, and i am have tried many things and nothing is working. I am aware of DVI-I,DVI-D and VGA as well. Here are the details.

Using a PXI 8108. Its manual says it has The Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset (Graphics and Memory Controller Hub). Bought a 3rd Party DVI-I to DVI-D and VGA Splitter. Two monitors, both HP v221 (has both VGA and DVI-D). The setup worked great for 2 years. Meanwhile, i also bought the NI DVI-I Spliiter (P/N 780868-01) as a backup. The Dual Displays worked great and at the BIOS password prompt, both displays showed the Password entry.

After 2 years (around 6 months ago), my DVI-D monitor (hereby called as Monitor 2) started to flicker randomly, blank Display On and Off. There were no specific symptoms. It started doing this on its own, whether any application was running on the Windows (WinXP SP3) or not. I did re-install the display driver to see if it goes, but it didnt. It was so random that sometimes it started at Windows Log in, and sometimes after 3 4 hrs. The problem was only replicated in Windows, not while Booting Up or at the BIOS password. Hence i suspected a faulty DVI-D cable, probably it had aged or maybe deteriorated due to EMI.

Seeing that the DVI-D cable runs into issues, i ordered a DVI to VGA Converter, so that i can use that at the Splitter end, and get rid of the DVI Cable. I tested it and it worked OK. Before i can use it permanently i ran into another problem.

A requirement came up for a 3rd dispaly. One solution was a PCI card, another surprise solution came out to be Sewell Mini Deck 3.0, which turns a USB port into an external display (Cool). So i ordered MiniDeck 3.0, and installed the driver. It works great and now i have 3 displays working on PXI (1 VGA, 1 DVI-D, and 1 USB).

During this time, while testing the DVI-VGA adaptor, the Monitor 2 (2nd Display, DVI-D) stopped giving display! (This is the issue here..finally). The other two worked fine (VGA and USB), but not the DVI-D one. It didnt even display anything on the BIOS password prompt. The second display is visible in Device Manager (Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family x 2). Also in Display Properties, it is visible and selectable. I can also Check (extend display onto this monitor). but nothing becomes visible on the DVI-D monitor (Monitor 2).

Now i have done the following to resolve, but havent worked.

1. Checked Monitor 2 elsewhere, it works fine. Both on VGA and DVI-D inputs.

2. I have 2 DVI-D cables, both work good on another PC. So the cable are good.

3. Uninstalled DisplayLink drivers (Sewell MiniDeck 3.0) 

4. I dont know what was the display driver version ( Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family) when everything worked (before flickering). But after the flickering, i installed Graphics Driver Version 6.14.10.5009. It didnt help. I have also tried installing the following Driver Versions

Version 6.14.10.4957 (the latest driver available on NI website page for PXI-8108)

Version 6.14.10.5420 (the latest driver available on NI website for Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family)

None of these work.

5. I have checked in BIOS and DDC Routing is set to DVI (as is recommeded here http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0E993D33675CD46A862572D50072C6A3).

"

• If only the VGA monitor is working, make certain that the DDC Routing is set correctly in the BIOS.  To do this, navigate to Advanced»Integrated Peripherals»Monitor DDC.  Verify that Monitor DDC is set to DVI.  Analog monitors will work when DDC Routing is set to DVI and CRT, however, DVI monitors will not function when DDC Routing is set to CRT."

6. The HP V221 monitor menu has under Management option for DDC/CI Support (On and Off). I have tried it both, but no change in results.

7. I have downloaded the BIOS firmware version 2.0.5f but havent installed it. since its a little too much to ask at the moment. Current BIOS firmware version is 2.0.1f

8. At the PXI chassis DVI-I end, i have used a DVI-I to VGA and used VGA cable into the Monitor 2, it works. Also i have directly input DVI-D Cable into the DVI-I connector, and it DOESNT work. No display. Hence i am suspecting that my graphics adaptor isnt outputting video on the Digital part of DVI-I. 

Probable Problem: Either Hardware (DVI-I port), or Graphics Driver 

I would be really, really grateful if anyone can help me towards the solution (or the problem). I cannot describe how much miserable i feel at the moment, after having tried so many things.

Thank YOU,

Regards,

Ali

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,517 Views)

Hello Ali, 

So at this point are you using the DVI splitters purchased from NI?

I am going to look into this further and get back to you! Seems like strange behavior.

Danielle

Applications Engineer 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,466 Views)

Yes, I am using the NI DVI-I to DVI-D/VGA splitter at the moment. 

Should i try to upgrade the BIOS firmware? WIll it be worth it? I cant afford to screw up the system.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,453 Views)

Do you have another monitor that you can try? Or splitter? I know you mentioned that you think they work, but it still may be worth trying. 

I am also curious what will your application need dual screen for?

Danielle

Applications Engineer 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,435 Views)

I have 5 monitors in my setup, all HP v221 (which have both VGA and DVI-D input). I have tried to input the DVI display into all of them (one by one, numerous times, before system startup and afterwards), they scan the inputs (DVI and VGA) and show 'No Signal' against both. 

I can try to bring another DVI enabled monitor to see if that shows anything. 

The application is a testing software based on VC6 and has multiple dialog windows, which need to be visible simultaneously. hence the need for multiple displays. 

I need to verify if the PXI-8108 is giving output on the Digital part of DVI-I. How can I do that? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,429 Views)

also I have two DVI-I to Dvi-d/VGA splitters, one of 3rd party and one of NI. the DVI part has no output. even if I use a DVI-D cable (one end into PXI DVI-I and other into Dvi-d monitor), there is no display on the monitor at any time. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,427 Views)

I am not sure if I am following your troubleshooting steps correctly. For clarification, can you please list which port and connector combinations have you tried for Monitor 2 alone?

Danielle

Applications Engineer 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,409 Views)

For monitor 2, I have tried the following.

1. (NI Splitter DVI-I to DVI-D/VGA) --DVI-D cable -- Monitor 2(DVI input)

doesn't work

2. (3rd party splitter DVI-I to DVI-D/VGA) --DVI-D cable -- Monitor 2(DVI input)

doesn't work 

3. (DVI-I to VGA convertor) --VGA cable -- Monitor 2(VGA input)

works

4. (NI Splitter DVI-I to DVI-D/VGA) --DVI-D cable -- (DVI-D to VGA active convertor box) -- VGA Cable -- Monitor 2(VGA input)

doesn't work

5. DVI-I port --DVI-D cable -- Monitor 2(DVI input)

doesn't work

I am quite sure there is no output from the PXI on the digital part of the DVI-I. but, again I may not be 100% correct. Can anyone please list what steps I should take to check that? or reset things? should I reset bios? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,401 Views)

Do you have another chassis that you can try running your controller in? It is possible that something in the chassis is causing this. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,384 Views)

I don't have another NI Chassis 😞

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,367 Views)