PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the PXI-8512 support Series 2 Filter or any similar mechanism to filter the received messages?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I need to buy a couple of CAN interfaces boards for my application test stands and I wonder which one to choose

I already use a PXI-8461 to get data from the customer models under test, and due to the fact that sometimes the customer bus can be very busy but most of the messages are not interesting for my acquisition system I am currently using the Series 2 Comparator/Mask/Filter to filter only the interesting messages.

Without this filter, the PXI-8461 returns often an error due to the bus overload. With the filter, everything runs perfectly

Now I need to implement more test stands with this same functionality, and I am considering to switch to the newest PXI-8512 for the new ones.

My question is: is the newest PXI-8512 a Series 2 device as well? Does it support the Series 2 Filter or any other mechanism to avoid problems on highly busy buses?

Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Davide

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,155 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Kevide

Hi Davide,

the PXI-8512 is not a Series 2 device. The PXI-8512 is a device from the X-NET family. X-NET is the technology which NI use to support CAN, LIN and FlexRay with one driver API. The Series 2 devices use the old NI-CAN driver, which only supports CAN. All newer devices are X-NET devices.

Take a look at the following document:

Migrating NI-CAN Applications to NI-XNET
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/9717/en

On this page, you will find the following statement to the function which you already use:

Transceiver filters were traditionally indicated for applications where only a few CAN IDs were being considered on a high bus load. In some cases, NI-CAN devices sustain full bus bandwidth, which leads to buffer overflows. The NI-XNET hardware architecture uses the NI-XNET device-driven DMA engine to eliminate the occurrence of buffer overflows. NI-XNET CAN interfaces are able to process high bus loads and transmit at maximum rates without overrunning buffers. If your applications extensively use hardware filters, NI recommends setting up CAN Objects, or reading the entire bus using the Network Interface Objects. The best option for these applications is to modify your code to use the native NI-XNET API. 

Regards, Stephan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,143 Views)

Hi Stephan,

thank you very much for your very helpful reply.

I will modify my code to use NI-XNET and the new devices, then.

Since I would like to use the same application code on both the new and the old test stands, I am thinking to add a case (driven by a configuration parameter, for instance) to select whether to use the NI-CAN code or the NI-XNET one... Can the two APIs set be used by the same application or do I need to use only one of them?

Kind Regards,

Davide

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,131 Views)

Hi Davide,

I think you would be very happy about the the information on this page:

Is My Existing NI-CAN API Application Compatible with NI-XNET CAN Hardware? - National Instruments
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8FACB99930654D588625765700508AB5?OpenDocument

Stephan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,110 Views)

Hi Stephan,

you are right: I am very happy about it! 🐵

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Davide

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,105 Views)