PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document "Is my PXI card hybrid slot compatible?"

Hi, I would like to ask for some clarification and make a suggestion for Document 4S3F9Q9G, "Is my PXI Card Hybrid Slot Compatible (PXIe-Ready)". In this document, there is a series of statements about the compatibility of various card types with various slot types.

Link: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/50C189CF7BF8884B86257515007184F4

I know that the document only intends to say whether any type of card is compatible with a PXI Hybrid Slot, it almost answers the question of what all cards are compatible with what all slots, which is the more general question I am trying to answer as I try to juggle devices and chassises.

Knowing basically nothing about the PXI standards, I attempted to produce a compatibility matrix from these statements alone, and I'd like to see if I arrived at the correct conclusions. I'm not sure if I used the conventional nomenclature, but it should be clear from the statements why I used those terms. See the attached PDF.

There are the pictures at the bottom where you can play a game of hocus focus to figure out which cards fit in which slots, but I think it would be much clearer with a matrix.

So my suggestions for the document are:

• add/edit the statements provide information about "blank" cells
  • add a completed compatibility matrix for quick reference.
  • Indicate on the matrix, or reference, the standard symbols indicating slot types, used below the slots of a PXI chassis

Thanks,
-Gregory Ng

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,620 Views)

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for your feedback on the article you mentioned. I appreciate you taking the time to create this matrix. It looks correct to me.  As a note, you can also submit feedback on this type of article using the feedback box located at the bottom of the page.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Nathan S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,609 Views)

Great to hear that it looks correct.  I assume that you mean that I have not introduced any erroneous information.  

But the reason that I submitted this message here, rather than directly on the page, is because I believe that my matrix is incomplete, and so I was hoping for some expert feedback on that and a quick commentary about why.

For example:

- Will the PXI system timing slot accept standard connector PXI cards, 32-bit compactpci cards, or hybrid compatible cards?

- Is it possible to plug a PXI standard connector module into a PXI hybrid slot?

Just for completeness, the text and matrix don't answer these questions, but I don't actually care about them.

- Is it possible to plug a PXI system timing module into a PXI hybrid slot?

- Will a standard PXI slot accept system timing cards, 32-bit compact pci cards, or hybrid compatible cards?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,606 Views)

- Will the PXI system timing slot accept standard connector PXI cards, 32-bit compactpci cards, or hybrid compatible cards?
Yes. But a hybrid compatible may loose functionality depending on the card.

- Is it possible to plug a PXI standard connector module into a PXI hybrid slot?
No.

- Is it possible to plug a PXI system timing module into a PXI hybrid slot?
No.

- Will a standard PXI slot accept [PXI] system timing cards, 32-bit compact pci cards, or hybrid compatible cards?
Yes. (A PXI system timing card must be placed in a PXI system timing slot). But a hybrid compatible may loose functionality depending on the card.

Nathan S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,598 Views)