From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document "Is my PXI card hybrid slot compatible?"

Hi, I would like to ask for some clarification and make a suggestion for Document 4S3F9Q9G, "Is my PXI Card Hybrid Slot Compatible (PXIe-Ready)". In this document, there is a series of statements about the compatibility of various card types with various slot types.

Link: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/50C189CF7BF8884B86257515007184F4

I know that the document only intends to say whether any type of card is compatible with a PXI Hybrid Slot, it almost answers the question of what all cards are compatible with what all slots, which is the more general question I am trying to answer as I try to juggle devices and chassises.

Knowing basically nothing about the PXI standards, I attempted to produce a compatibility matrix from these statements alone, and I'd like to see if I arrived at the correct conclusions. I'm not sure if I used the conventional nomenclature, but it should be clear from the statements why I used those terms. See the attached PDF.

There are the pictures at the bottom where you can play a game of hocus focus to figure out which cards fit in which slots, but I think it would be much clearer with a matrix.

So my suggestions for the document are:

• add/edit the statements provide information about "blank" cells
  • add a completed compatibility matrix for quick reference.
  • Indicate on the matrix, or reference, the standard symbols indicating slot types, used below the slots of a PXI chassis

Thanks,
-Gregory Ng

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,616 Views)

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for your feedback on the article you mentioned. I appreciate you taking the time to create this matrix. It looks correct to me.  As a note, you can also submit feedback on this type of article using the feedback box located at the bottom of the page.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Nathan S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,605 Views)

Great to hear that it looks correct.  I assume that you mean that I have not introduced any erroneous information.  

But the reason that I submitted this message here, rather than directly on the page, is because I believe that my matrix is incomplete, and so I was hoping for some expert feedback on that and a quick commentary about why.

For example:

- Will the PXI system timing slot accept standard connector PXI cards, 32-bit compactpci cards, or hybrid compatible cards?

- Is it possible to plug a PXI standard connector module into a PXI hybrid slot?

Just for completeness, the text and matrix don't answer these questions, but I don't actually care about them.

- Is it possible to plug a PXI system timing module into a PXI hybrid slot?

- Will a standard PXI slot accept system timing cards, 32-bit compact pci cards, or hybrid compatible cards?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,602 Views)

- Will the PXI system timing slot accept standard connector PXI cards, 32-bit compactpci cards, or hybrid compatible cards?
Yes. But a hybrid compatible may loose functionality depending on the card.

- Is it possible to plug a PXI standard connector module into a PXI hybrid slot?
No.

- Is it possible to plug a PXI system timing module into a PXI hybrid slot?
No.

- Will a standard PXI slot accept [PXI] system timing cards, 32-bit compact pci cards, or hybrid compatible cards?
Yes. (A PXI system timing card must be placed in a PXI system timing slot). But a hybrid compatible may loose functionality depending on the card.

Nathan S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,594 Views)