PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnecting a PXIe-8301 cable

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure out the approved way for disconnecting my laptop from the 8301. The instructions tell you not to unplug it because it might not reconnect. They also say if it /does/ become unplugged, just plug it back in. A bit ago, for lack of a better option, I just pulled the thunderbolt cable out; that caused my laptop to blue screen.

Any thoughts on proper procedure? I tried powering down the chassis first, but the power button didn't do anything. Do I need to actually shut down the laptop every time?

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,626 Views)

Hi Christopher,

You shouldn't have to shut down the laptop. However, you will need to make sure no software is open/actively running and communicating with devices on the chassis. That's the only foreseeable case that could cause you to blue screen. Out of curiosity, what laptop are you using?

FYI - If there's an active Thunderbolt link, the chassis power button needs to be pressed and held for ~2 seconds to force the chassis to power down. 

Best regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,608 Views)

I'm using an Asus ZenBook; I don't have the exact model number handy. I think I probably had MAX open when I disconnected, but I don't think I was actively "using" any of the hardware.

I'll play with it a bit more later this afternoon. If I can reliably reproduce the issue, is it something you'd like to have reported?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,600 Views)

Yes, please let us know if you are able to reproduce this.

Thank you,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,573 Views)

It does seem to be reproducible; I have a colleague with the same machine that also blue screens on disconnect. That said, it seems to only happen if you let it sit for approximately 10 seconds after pulling the cable. If you plug it back in immediately it doesn't seem to occur. 

Our testing isn't exhaustive, and I'm not sure that it happens 100% of the time, but it definitely isn't great.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,518 Views)

Hi Christopher,

Really appreciate your time on this.
Could you please provide some more specifics of your setup:
- What model of Zenbook do you and your friend have?
- What chassis are you using?

- Are there any modules inside the chassis?
- Any software installed to communicate with the chassis or modules in the chassis?

And a few follow-up questions:
- When you unplug, does the Thunderbolt tray icon linger? i.e. doesn't disappear in a few seconds.
- Have you tested any other consumer Thunderbolt 3 devices with your laptop?

- Is your laptop updated with the latest Thunderbolt firmware and driver available from Asus?

Thank you,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,512 Views)

Nick,

I'll generate a MAX tech report, which I believe should include most or all of the initial information. I'll have my colleague do the same.

Re: the follow-ups:

I'll have to investigate further on the first.

WRT the second, I  have not, and don't have any such devices readily accessible.

On the third, I haven't intentionally done so, but I have gotten a few auto-updates from Asus, so I'm not sure of the current state. I'll investigate this further as well.

If I open a service request, will that still give you visibility to this issue? I'd rather not go through all the details and post a MAX tech report to the public forum.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,509 Views)

Understood Christopher, feel free to PM me to keep this off the forums.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,504 Views)

PM sent. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,486 Views)