PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between PXI-8464 and PXI-8460 and/or PXI-8462

I am attempting to put together another PXI box, and have other setups I am attempting to duplicate. In the existing PXI boxes I have 8460s or 8462s that work just fine.
The new box will have an 8464, since the others are no longer available.
In trying to get this functional I am first just trying to get the 8464 working in one of the other PIX boxes that in already known functional.
Any help in getting the 8464 differences from the older boards would help.
I am going to be running these in high speed more without any of the extended features.
The user HW/SW manual I have seems to indicate that in high speed mode the connections are the same.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,433 Views)

Hi Ken,
One thing to look out for is that the second port is by default is in low speed configuration, so keep that in mind.  As long as you have the driver that came with the 8464 installed, then there should be no difference in the setup.  If you want specific specification differences, check out the data sheet here (also linked below).  Page 4 and 5 show the spec differences between the two boards.  You can also see the differences in the NI-CAN driver versions by viewing the readme.htm (or .txt) from the driver CD or driver download page.  The latest version is NI-CAN 2.3.2.

I hope this is the information you are needing, but if you have any other questions, please let me know!

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/pdf/products/us/3ic744-747.pdf

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,418 Views)
I have the documents referenced.
What I found out:
The HW engineer I was helping purchased 2 of the 8464s, so I put the second one in the PXI box (but I didn't realize what a hassle that would be, removing the other hw from existence through MS hardware manager,......what a mess, there has to be/should be an easier way to do this). Anyway....

The second one, once configured the same way as I got the first one, works just fine. No problems.
So, I gave it the the lab guy to talk with NI about how to repair/replace/fix the one that is not working.

Thanks
Ken

Message Edited by Ken0 on 02-01-2006 04:38 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,417 Views)

I am sorry you had trouble with the first system, but I am glad you were able to get the second system working faster.  If you think the process is too complicated, please go to ni.com/contact to submit a product suggestion to improve our products.  Your feedback is greatly appreciated! 
If you have any other questions, just let me know!

Chris R.
Applications Engineer

Message Edited by Chris_R. on 02-02-2006 08:03 AM

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 7
(4,408 Views)
Well, the problem I had was swapping the PXI-8464 with another PXI8464 in the same PXI box, in the same slot.

I had no trouble going from a PXI-8462 to the PXI-8464, I'm guessing because their names are different (as seen from the HW manager in Windows).

I removed the first PXI-8464 and inserted the second PXI-8464, I thought since they are the same cards, I wouldn't have to do anything special, just a straight swap.
After trying that, I ended up having to use Windows HW manager to remove the first one, reboot, and tell Windows HW manager what device I had to install as new, and what drivers to use.
To make the whole process worse, everything takes quite a long time, it is a Windows 2000 system, with a Pentium 1.something GHz processor, and ONLY 128Meg of RAM.

Should I need to remove the first card to get the second installed and usable?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,401 Views)
If you have the additional room, you can always add the second card with the first card still installed.  This will let Windows know that the card you just added is indeed a new card and it will prompt you to load a driver for it.  Then you can remove the old card.  Since the old card and the new card have the same product and vendor ID, Windows will have know idea that any hardware has changed if the two cards are just swapped.  If you don't have the room, then you have to go through the process of uninstalling the old card from Windows Hardware Manager so that Windows knows that the hardware had changed when you install the new card.  Unfortunately, when dealing with an exact replacement, this is the only way to get Windows to recognize the replacement.
Message 6 of 7
(4,385 Views)
Thanks Michael C, that is what I did.

We have lab staff that take care of the interactions with NI, so one of those guys is taking care of contacting NI to get this repaired or replaced (it is a new card).
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,379 Views)