PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC Power Sequencing

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a NI 4139 card and I wish to use the sequencing function. However I want to use a trigger input to iterate through the sequence rather than running the entire sequence 1 time. The sequence is an array of voltages and timing. I am able to trigger the entire sequence, but not step through it. 

Does anyone have experience using an external trigger to iterate through a DC Power sequence. I suspect I am missing some simple configuration.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,441 Views)

It looks like you can achieve it with source trigger.

santo_13_0-1617848778111.png

santo_13_1-1617848828124.png

The source unit waits for the source trigger before sourcing in each step (if configured for a source trigger) excluding the first step.

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370736U-01/ni_dc_power_supplies_help/sequencing/

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 8
(1,406 Views)

Thank you Santosh. 

Unfortunately is still does the entire sequence, rather than allowing me to step through it.

When I try to use a source trigger,  I get an error stating the SMU is not waiting for a source trigger after I issue one.

When I use a Start trigger, the SMU Sequence runs and completes; It does not step 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,384 Views)

Would you be able to share the code for review?

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370736U-01/ni_dc_power_supplies_help/configuringsequence/

This link also confirms that Source Trigger should work and example provided is what you are trying to achieve

santo_13_0-1617909563844.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Message 4 of 8
(1,381 Views)

SMU Sequence.png

 Santhosh, 

thank you for your kid offer to review this code. I've stripped it down to the bare essentials and ran it to make sure it works. When running this code is runs the entire sequence. My goal is to have a trigger (simulated here in the for loop) that forces the SMU to step through each iteration of the sequence.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,378 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erickey

Please try the attached VI (in LV2013). I did not have an actual SMU to verify the functionality, based on my understanding, the implementation should work as expected.

If you're using LV older than 2018, I would suggest replacing the wait function within the loop with a delay function.

santo_13_0-1618260658670.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

Message 6 of 8
(1,355 Views)

Update: I validated the code I shared earlier with a 4139 instrument and it works as expected. So, this should solve your requirement.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

Message 7 of 8
(1,345 Views)

Thank you so very much!!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,338 Views)