PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create De-Embedding Array RFSA

I keep getting a null array each attempt to Get De-embedding Array RFSA vi.  I setup the center freq, both sig-gen and sig-an, initiate the setting but still a null array.  I'm using the RFSA and RFSG toolkit with PXIe 5830.  I've uploaded LV2019 vi, where you need the RFSA and RFSG toolkit installed else missing VIs. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(1,297 Views)

I'm told the PXIe-5830/20 does not support the de-embedding functions.  I looked at the Release Notes for  RFSA and the 5840 supports de-embedding as of version 18.2 RFSA. Nothing else is mentioned regarding de-embedding and the latest RFSA version Notes (ver 21.0.1) aren't yet posted on NI website.

Can someone confirm that the 5830 or 5820 does not support de-embedding?

richjoh_0-1633634256970.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(1,274 Views)

Well, turns out the PXIe-5830 supports de-embedding using the RFmx Class though and NOT RFSA Class.  RFmx version 19.1 names it AttenuationTable where you can save to a s2p file.  Take a look at the manual here, https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/374264N-01/rfmxinstrdotnet/html/allmembers_t_nationalinstru...  .  Search for "AttenuationTable" or "S parameter" and the same RFSA de-embedding function supported for PXIe-5830 are listed.  

So it just took a little research to answer my own question.  Now I'll go dig for those RFmx function I've been looking and got distracted by the RFSA de-embedding tools.  Can I Kudo myself? :^()

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(1,259 Views)

What I said above is not all correct. RFSA class for PXIe-5830 De-embedding is supported. The only way to get S-parameter is to use RFSA.  RFmxINSTR supports saving or reading (not creating) an s2p file.  In the pic below, 5830 is listed as supported.

richjoh_0-1633840024871.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(1,251 Views)

If you're trying to create an S2P file for use in de-embedding later on, I don't think it is capable of. Moreover, to create an SnP file, you would need a VNA and not a VST.

VNA will have the couplers at the ports to measure the full S parameter.

Looking at the help document, it only discusses the driver support to use an S2P file to apply de-embedding on the VSG/VSA but not create using them.

santo_13_0-1633840748772.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,245 Views)

the pxie-5830 looks like a VNA from the description.  The RFmxInstr drivers allow use of a Attenuation Correction file but I did not see RFmxInstr VI to generate a Attenuation (scalar) correction file.  I assume the generation can be done using a sweep, measure IQ and convert to amplitude.  

richjoh_0-1634051391323.png

The RFSA function provides a de-embedding (create or generate) VI which list the PXIe-5830 as supported hardware.  I could not get this to work.  Checked the NI Examples and no examples existed.  Since the pxie-5830 is a VNA I'd expect it to give ampl & phase, de-embedding data when using the RFSA VIs.

richjoh_0-1634052031754.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(1,225 Views)

Technically it is still not a VNA. https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/hardware/products/pxi-vector-network-analyzer.html

PXIe-S5090 is the only available VNA listed on NI site.

VNA contains reference couplers at both the ports, allowing them to measure S11 or S22 parameters and they are capable of generating/acquiring signal on either of the ports.

In a VST case, it lacks the coupler. My understanding of the RFSA function is that it can support de-embedding if you pass it an S2P file but not create an S2P file somehow.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(1,222 Views)

Thanks for the tip, it makes total sense because the PXIe-5830 doesn't have the reference couplers as you mentioned in your reply.  This would explain why I could not proceed when I set the S-parameter orientation to Vector. Scalar orientation was excepted though. 

This question persist, is the "Create De-embedding S-Parameter Table.vi" RFSA supported by the PXIe-5830?  As I look at the Help, the 5830 is listed as a supported hardware.

richjoh_0-1634057616482.png

If the Create De-embedding works using Scalar data, I could read the values back into the RFmxInstr SigGen and SigAnalyzer drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(1,216 Views)

I keep posting the wrong snippet picture, here's the pic I meant to post.  The VI should spit out S-parameters (scalars only) if it supported by the PXIe-5830.  I tried various settings of RFSA and RFSG to no avail.  The initial Labview code is posted at the top of the thread.

richjoh_0-1634062738127.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(1,210 Views)

Yes, based on the description it can create a table from the provided S2P file.

But not generate it on its own.

S2P file -> De-embedding table (RFSA) -> Signal Analysis

Without the S2P file, it CANNOT create the de-embedding table

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(1,205 Views)