PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counter output terminal error: No registered trigger lines could be found...

A summary of my problem is that I am getting an error when I try to do several concurrent counter output tasks to various PFI terminals.

I've created a VI to configure counter output that triggers on an event, outputting a single pulse of configurable duration. The output of the counter is configured to route to some PFI terminal.  (aqn_gen_triggered_pulse.vi)

I then configured to trigger counter output off the start of signal generation from a PXI-5421, then to route the output of the counter to PFI0 of the same 5421.  This works fine.

I then reinstantiated the same VI, except to concurrently generate a different-duration pulse to the PFI1 output of the same PXI-5421.  This resulted in the error:

Error -89125 occurred at DAQmx Start Task. 

No registered trigger lines could be found between the devices in the route. 

Source device: IO_TIMERS

Destination Device: UCX_LO_40MHZ

I'd really like to be able to route the counter outputs to various PFI terminal, just to organize the outputs on the front panel in a way that makes sense for my application.  But it seems that I'm conceptually missing something to make this happen.  I tried outputting to some other PFI terminals in the system, and for some terminals it worked, and for others it failed with the same error, but I don't understand why.

Are these counter outputs meant to come out of the Timing I/O connector block?  The connector block takes up a lot of physical real estate for only a handful of output signals so I'd prefer not to have to use (or buy) it.

Thanks for any explanation,

-gn

relevant hardware config:

PXIe-1075 chassis

PXI-6602 counter in slot 4 (named IO_TIMERS)

PXI-5421 AWG in slot 5 (named UCX_LO_40MHZ)

PXIe-6672 timing module in slot 10

Trigger line 0,1,2 programatically connected from bus segment 2 to segment 1

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,258 Views)

Hi gregoryng,

Are you using the front end connectors to route triggers or the backplane?  It looks like you are mixing the two, using the front end to physically connect but programming the backplane to route triggers when no trigger reservations have been made.  Either that or you are double reserving the lines by reinstatiating your second VI, and you did not open the connection made by your first VI to PFI0.  If you reserve PFI1 first and PFI0 second do you run into the same error?  How are you programming the two terminals to be connected, with Export Signal or property nodes?

Kyle A.
National Instruments
Senior Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,238 Views)

To add to this thread, here is more information on error 89125.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,236 Views)

Hopefully I'm understanding your questions correctly.

I am not using the front connectors to route triggers.  The only things connected to front end connectors are external devices receiving the outputs. 

I am using property nodes to connect the terminal, using the DAQmx: CO.Pulse.Term property node.

When you say to open the connection made by my first VI to PFI0, do you mean that I need to connect the DAQmx task out from the first VI to an input of the 2nd VI?  Is this task how information about trigger reservations is carried?

I think I'm a little unclear about where triggers come into play for this setup.  They connect the counter output to the terminal?

Thanks for any explanation,

gregory

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,216 Views)

If you use PFI0 as your trigger line, you are specifying the front end PFI line as your trigger output.  To use the backplane, you need to use PXI_TRIG0 through 7 to route triggers.  Those are comparable to the RTSI lines on a PCI board.  If you don't set up PXI_TRIG lines and try to trigger, I would think this error would occur.  Go into MAX and select your chassis under PXI System and there should be a Trigger tab that allows you to manually reserve trigger lines and route your triggers appropriately.  More information on this procedure can be found here.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,213 Views)