cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert dual boot to RT

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a dual-boot controller to RT only?  I have a hard disk that just died and to simplify things I would like to install RT only on the new drive as we are moving over to RT only.  The PXI controller (8110) ships with backup software, but you have to install both Windows and the RT OS if using this.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,301 Views)

Hi Matt,

You should be able to do this without too much trouble. Boot the controller into RT Safe Mode so it appears under Remote Systems in MAX from another computer, and then re-format the disk through MAX. This will clear the controller, and allow you to install RT through the typical RT target software method. Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Andy H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,273 Views)

Thanks for the reply Andy, but am I missing something?  What is the "typical RT target software method"?  All I have is a recovery disk that will only let me reformat with a dual boot system.  How do I install just an RT partition?

Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,269 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cirrusio

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the lack of clarity. Here are the steps to follow.

1. Boot controller into RT Safe Mode. In the left pane in MAX, right-click the target and select "Format Disk."

2. After completion, reboot controller into LabVIEW RT. In MAX, the target should appear in its default state, without any user-defined settings or parameters.

3. Expand the target in the left pane of MAX, and right-click the item labeled "Software." The only option that will appear is "Add/Remove Software." Selecting this item will launch the RT Software Installation wizard, which will walk you through installing the necessary software on the target.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Andy H.
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(4,255 Views)

Ahhhh...ok, I am a dummy.  Thanks, Andy.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,248 Views)