From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a PXI waveform generator to a PXI matrix switch

Hello,

I'm trying to plan a test system which will include the PXIe-5413 Waveform Generator module.  I'm planning to deploy the 2 channel version, but I have 24 channels I would like to test with this device.  

Also in my design are a number of mux/matrix switch modules. I was expecting to utilize 24 channels of one of these devices, specifically PXIe-2737 2-wire 4x64 Matrix switch, to switch the specific channel under test to the PXIe-5413. 

The problem I have is that the PXIe-5413 produces the waveform on a SMA connector.  I expected to find a cable that goes from SMA to unterminated wire on the other end, but I have not been able to locate anything.  Alternatively, there might be some sort of breakout box with screw terminals for this, but I am unable to find this as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Is there some flaw in my thinking to "breakout" the SMA connection?

I realize the SMA cable is a 1 wire cable, and the waveform generator is single ended, so this may seem incongruent with the 2-wire switch, but I have the resources available on the 2-wire switch, so I plan to simply leave the second wire un-utilized, or connected to ground for the benefit of the UUT.  Is there a flaw in this logic?

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  I'm looking for a "clean" solution, but I'm always open to creative ideas.

Thank you,

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,765 Views)

Hi Alex,

I was checking about any available SMA converter in NI and the one we have is the SMA-BNC connector: http://www.ni.com/en-us/support/model.smb-bnc-coaxial-cable.html

You can then use a 2-wire to BNC converter, that way you will have the 2 wires for the switch.   

Best regards,
Cesar Ortega
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,740 Views)